How can we improve your experience paying invoices online?

Allow pasting of account number.

Allow copy and paste when entering bank account information. It is currently blocked with a 'for accuracy' explanation. Copy and paste from my own records is much more accurate than typing again by hand.

104 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

24 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Michael Bonnell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is absurd that you prevent pasting. I'm copying from my bank to fill in these details to reduce the chances of causing an error.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm SO SICK of stupid websites blocking pasting as a supposed "security measure". That's the OPPOSITE OF MORE SECURE! KNOCK IT OFF!!! Utter failure of both UI *AND* security best practices.

There's a special place in Hell for the programmer who prevents control-v pasting of account numbers. And his or her supervisor who approved this.

This UI mistake was created sometime around May 9, 2017. It's now Dec 18, 2018 - nearly 18 months later... and it's STILL a stupid idea! How long could it possibly it take to fix?

Also fire the person who implemented this. There aren't going to be random bit flips or anything like that. This is just f-ed and you should feel ashamed.

• David McCullough commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's absolutely retarded to prevent us from pasting into the account number fields. It's frustrating, takes additional time to complete, and typing is far less accurate than copying and pasting text from our bank website. It was so frustrating I almost mailed my service provider a physical check rather than use your payment interface. Everything else on the page was awesome, but the fact I couldn't paste something into a field really frustrated me. It's almost as bad as having a password policy that doesn't adhere to NIST's current recommendations.

Seriously, no one is reading their account number from a check. I haven't even had checks for 15 years. I copy and paste from my bank's website. That's more accurate than typing it will ever be.

I find it so infuriating that I have to type my account number after I copy it from my bank's website and paste it in Quickbooks. I doubt that typing an account number is the normal case. There's no need for the second field and CERTAINLY no need to force us to type it.

Seriously, it makes me so angry, I ended up here.

Ditto. It is NOT more accurate to reenter data that I more accurately copy and paste from my account. This is a ridiculous requirement, a legacy of old policy and perhaps clueless programmers and managers.

If you want to make it more accurate then prevent copying the account number from the first account number field. But preventing paste into the second account number field just increases my frustration level, and increases any chance of error.

Stop doing this! This is MUCH WORSE security than allowing pasting! It opens the door for key loggers. If I copy from my password manager and paste it twice, I NEVER TYPED IT AT ALL. I do document.activeElement.value='<account_number>' in the javascript console to get around this idiocy, but the people who wouldn't know how to do that are the same less-technical users who are more likely to be taken in by key logging malware.

Yes, the current form design is idiotic. I always copy and paste the account number from my online banking. Doesn't make any sense to force me to retype it...

This is accurate. Even typing this comment I made a typo; copy-paste is the proper method.

• dougpy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am cutting and pasting from my bank's website! No chance of error!

Moreover, pasting my account number from my password manager defeats keyloggers. I'm not sure what threat vector blocking paste is meant to defeat, but it doesn't improve security (and is easily bypassed with document.activeElement.setValue). It hinders the legitimate traffic and doesn't even slow down fraudsters.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base