I suggest you ...

add markup capabilities on estimates

I get many line item estimates from my vendors with different cost options associated with each item/option. I would like to be able to enter in my cost and then apply a markup percentage on my estimates to my clients.

you do this fine for invoices, but i need this for my estimates before we get to that stage.

737 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

83 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I recently converted to QuickBooks online. Why would they take away the Cost and Mark-up capability. I used this for every estimate and I was able to see my total cost and profit for each estimate. Now I have to hand calculate the price which allows for more user errors. Please add this into QuickBooks online!

• Bill Moore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear QBO Development Team,

What the heck is going on that you still don't have this crucial feature available in QBO just like it was built into QBD?! Intuit is an accounting company, isn't it? Hundreds, even thousands of QBO users are asking for the same exact thing and have been for years. Had I known this would be an issue I would have never switched from QBD.

Did no one from the QBO dev team talk to the QBD dev team when developing QBO?
        I don't know a single sales person, business owner or manager that doesn't need to know how much profit they are making on an estimate BEFORE you send it to a customer. Manually calculating a profit margin makes my eye twitch. What the heck good does it do to only see this once an invoice is generated?! A customer does't approve an invoice - they approve an estimate. It's a bit late to look at your profit margin after the fact, don't you think??

Please tell me that someone on the QBO dev team has the wheel and is steering this missing feature into existence!

The mark up feature on estimates is essential. Currently the estimate is useless as i have no idea how much the product cost ME so how can i discount without this information. I will end up selling below cost. CRAZY this feature is not available???????

• Andrew F commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just a note: I searched "markup" and there are more than 20 other separate entries requesting this feature, with a total of ***671*** ADDITIONAL VOTES. If they were all combined with this entry there'd be a total of 1346 votes. Maybe Quickbooks would take more interest then. I've kept a record of all the names if anyone would like a list.

• Andrew F commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This used to be so good on the desktop version. There was a column for notes that you could hide from the customer, a column for markup/margin (% or $), and it would then transfer from the estimate to the PO and invoice. What was Quickbooks thinking not to incorporate all this from the start of the online program?!?!?! Xero doesn't offer it either, so if Quickbooks can get this happening they'll get heaps of new customers, including me.

Like always in Quickbooks, we pay a high price for upgrades every year, yet not much changes. I think our time is wasted asking for specific changes, as they NEVER come through! Sadly, there aren't many other options out there for accounting software, I think they know it and our "complaints go unanswered"

I am dealing with the same issue. I have several estimates that are based upon customer selections, these estimates are for fixtures that all have a different cost, they are not inventory, as we order them only for that job. The estimate is based upon the cost of the item, plus 25% markup. Like the above comment, it would be so easy for us to enter the cost and have that mark up calculate immediately. Don't need it on invoicing, just the estimate side.

Sorry QB but this certainly seems like you guys have gotten fat, dumb and happy. Some of these comments are 5+ years old - you're telling me that you guys can't address this gaping hole in 5 years worth of enhancements to the system? Ridiculous. My business partner and I "ASSUMED" that there was at least equivalent functionality between desktop and online - now I feel like one of those cartoon characters who stepped in the noose and is now dangling upside down from a tree. We even brought on a new administrative person to be able to work on this stuff remotely. This sort of BS makes me absolutely nutz!!!

So - the workaround, after reading ALL that we could in very short order is to run this in parallel. Once the job (created and estimated in QBD) is accepted and posted as an invoice, we'll print out the invoice as PDF and email it to the acctg person to attach to a newly created 1-item invoice in QBO. Pathetic. (but it keeps us rolling.)

• Bob Mosher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What EVERYONE else said... new to QBO and VERY disappointed that this feature doesn't exist. KEY to my business, and now I have to do it and track it outside of my financial system. I noticed that there was a comment back in the discussion groups that dates back 2 years...Really????

• Ricardo Gonzalez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just switched to QBO Essentials after using the desktop version of QB for years. I could have sworn that I saw an option to see a markup column in my estimates, but I think I unchecked it, and now I can't find it anymore. Did I dream this? Was it just a fantasy? Because it's hard for me to believe that my accounting software does not have the capability to allow me to define my markup percentages so I can specify and measure my profit margin on certain products I sell. I mean, that would be crazy. Right?

I moved to QuickBooks Online Jan of 2017. I posed this exact question a year ago. I may move back to the desktop version because Markup is critical to our business. My reports were not correct all last year and cost us thousands of dollars in our time. This is totally unacceptable! Anything that we were used to on the Desktop Pro version should have automatically been added to the online version. After reading some more comments we find out our information is not securely stored somewhere in case it goes down? What is QB thinking?

• Rae commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can add it as a Product & Services item (income) and add the price as .10 for a 10% mark up for example, then add the qty of the price to mark up. For example if the total price is 28.50, add that quantity and it will add the item at 10%.

• Margaret Bosbyshell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am an interior designer and I absolutely need the ability to have mark-up as a feature of estimate creation. Worked fantastically in desktop version. Don't understand why it is missing from QBO.

We are going back to desktop. Can't work without product markup. What are you thinking? We just wasted an entire day uploading and setting up QB Online, but it doesn't account for reselling products and services?

• Kerry Boyd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We just recently converted from Reckon Hosted to QB's Online, and we are a building company. Estimating in QB would be so much better with separate columns for Qty, Rate, Mark Up, GST, Amount. This is such an important feature. We also then need this to link to a Purchase Order so the amounts in RATE column in the Estimate copy over the Purchase Order. Reckon Accounts Hosted offer this, and we are contemplating going back to Reckon because this feature is integral to our business. Please fix this QB!!

← Previous 1 3 4 5

QuickBooks Online Feature Requests: Other

Feedback and Knowledge Base