I suggest you ...

Introduce Progress Invoicing

Be able to bill out fractions or amounts of a Job or Project to an Invoice.

While we are looking at this feature, workarounds currently include:

1. You can use the Balance Forward Statement to show the original invoice, any payments made, and the remaining balance. The steps are given in knowledgebase article:

https://community.intuit.com/articles/1145736-all-about-statements

2. You can create a separate invoice for each stage of the job. These invoices can be created in advance to equal the total amount of the job by using a recurring template.

For instructions on recurring templates, see knowledgebase article: https://community.intuit.com/articles/1442437-create-a-recurring-template

Thank you

6,202 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  AdminQBO Team (Admin, QuickBooks Online) responded  · 

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback that you’d like to see progress invoicing in QuickBooks Online. We’ve assigned a team to develop this feature and they are picking up work now so stay tuned for updates. Your feedback helps us prioritize what to do next. Thanks for your patience and please keep the feedback coming!

660 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Lori commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WHEN are we going to get Progressive Invoicing? This is a MUST for the construction industry!

• Teresa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just spent hours and days converting to QBO for the company I work for only to find out that it doesn't offer progressive invoicing! I am not only severely embarrassed, but so pissed off! Now I will have to offer them my free time and just go buy the desktop version and install and move everything over! What a total pain! Their company has to use progressive invoicing and it should have been available on QBO! This needs to be added ASAP!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that changing to QBO has created a problem without progress invoicing. I used Quickbooks Pro since 1997 and only converted because the mobile part of it was dropped. Our company really needed both. So I converted. Now I'm stuck in a situation of creating work arounds to progress invoicing. Not fun.

Sales Orders and Progress Invoices would be very helpful tools in QBO. An example would be where a customer orders a block of items to be purchased as needed over a specific period of time in order to get a price break. The customer buys the items as needed throughout the time, no set schedule. This is difficult to do in QBO presently, any work around here is very cumbersome.

• jerry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I convinced my construction company to move from desktop to QBO and now I look like a fool. This is not the first time I look like a fool with QBO. About a year and a half ago, I convinced one of my big clients who is not in construction to move to the original QBO and it was severely limited in function. I had to switch them back and lost tons of hours and sleep.

Please add Progress Invoicing feature and also capabilities to email paystubs to employees.

Thank you

• Erin B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to vote this a million times! This was a feature on my desktop version so I don't understand why it is now suddenly not. It makes NO sense! Maybe we should stop paying QBO for being "better" than the desktop and go back to the other version that doesn't charge us monthly and works better! This is unbelievable. It is essential, especially in my business with construction. I need to be able to invoice the customer throughout! ITS A NO BRAINER! GET ON IT OR YOU ARE GOING TO LOSE ALL OF YOUR CUSTOMERS!

I Really want to upgrade to QBO but progress invoicing is a must!!
        is it coming ant time soon? or do I need to look at other software.
        I am using QB Pro 2012 at the moment and to be able to replicate this online would be ideal.

• Jay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seems like progress invoicing should be a no brainer. Let's get this done, Intuit.

• k.knight commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Online Plus needs the Customer Sales Order function badly for progress invoicing of large customer projects.
        On Desktop, we would enter a large Customer's PO (Our Sales Order) and it might have, say, 3 lines such as:
        First line : qty 10 days work at £500 per day on "phase 1 Investigation"
        Second line: Qty 5 days "Phase 2 Design" @ £500
        Third line : Qty 20 days "Phase 3 Implementation" @ £500.
        Then there might be several invoices:
        First invoice: 6 days on "Phase 1 Investigation".
        Second invoice: remaining 4 days Phase 1 Investigation" & 3 days on "Phase 2 Design"
        Third invoice : Remaining 2 days on "Phase 2 Design"
        Fourth invoice : 15 days on "Phase 3 Implementation"
        Fifth Invoice : remaining 5 days on "Phase 3 Implementation"

At each stage we want to be able to
        a) check what has been invoiced against this Customer SO
        b) run a report to see what is left to bill on this Customer SO.

This ensures that the project is correctly re-billed.

Using 'Estimates' does not work. Once you try to create an invoice from an Estimate (even when you change the qty on a line) the Estimate is marked as 'invoiced', so there is no history or unbilled balance remaining.

Come on Intuit ! See some sense please, and cater for small businesses that are project based !

Having upgraded from Desktop, I am now having to create, and constantly change, and manually control many estimates in order to mimic your desktop offering.

Any plans to bring this in sometime soon?

• Michelle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is crucial with job costing and planning in the construction where we are constantly billing for percentages of work completed or to request a draw for materials, especially when there are more than a couple jobs per client. Quickbooks online is used widely in the construction industry because most work is done in the field on tablets and cell phones where QB's online is necessary.

The workarounds are messy and not OK. QBO needs to implement a legit progress billing feature as this process is an integral part of many businesses. Any idea when this will happen? Meanwhile I'll go back to desktop.

• Zachary Bennett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Zachary: Our clients sign a contract for a large amount and then pay a deposit amount followed by monthly amounts that are then taken from the larger contract amount. How do I set up in Quickbooks online so that we, and the client, can see the total amount still due on the contract with each invoice?
        QBOA - Leah H: Well, the only way to see the 'amount due' would be to create an invoice for the total amount due... and then pay it off little by little... it will show the amount due as you pay it down
        Zachary: really? there is no way to go off of an estimate?
        Zachary: I just want to be able to keep track of it as a running balance even if its internally
        QBOA - Leah H: no, because an estimate is considered non posting
        QBOA - Leah H: The only way to 'track' it would be an invoice
        Zachary: Why is this sort of progress billing not available?
        QBOA - Leah H: Its not a feature available in QBO at this time. :(
        Zachary: :( is it coming? I can't believe I'm the only business that runs this way
        QBOA - Leah H: At this time, progress invoicing would be a feedback request for QBO
        Zachary: do i need to formally put in that request somewhere?
        QBOA - Leah H: i have a website... give me just a moment please
        Zachary: ok
        QBOA - Leah H: click here, it DOES look like someone has submitted it as a feature :)
        QBOA - Leah H: feature request

QuickBooks Online Feature Requests: Form Delivery

Feedback and Knowledge Base