I suggest you ...

Allow multiple payment types for a sales receipt.

Set up QBO to allow multiple payment types for a Sales Receipt. Currently we operate a restaurant and retail business and at the end of the day we have a consolidated sales and payment report to enter in to QBO. Currenlty we are having to enter the data using Journal Entry in order to be able to have the multiple payment types post to the correct places and amounts (cash, credit card batches, gift certificates, etc.)

67 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    James Snyder shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jonathan Schulenberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This request has gotten a surprisingly low number of votes. It is affecting our business and I suspect everyone who has register end of day Z reports (aka Z-out). In our case, the register reports show the following data: 1) total sales by product category; 2) total sales by sales person; 3) gross non-taxable sales; 4) gross taxable sales and total tax liability; 5) total payments by type. If we wanted, it would also provide transactional detail to show units sold per-product, any discounting, etc. We don't bother with this yet since we have no way to get it into QuickBooks.

Just like the original thread author we are currently entering a separate Sales Receipt per-payment type so we can reconcile the nightly cash/check deposit and the separate daily credit batch transaction. Additionally, we are forced to enter all of the taxable sales on only one of the payment-type Sales Receipts because the Z report doesn't show taxable sales per-payment type. The sales tax liability is captured accurately but QuickBooks doesn't reflect what actually happened since taxable sales are spread across all payment methods in reality.

This limitation precludes us from being able to enter lines on the Sales Receipt which has huge implications. We cannot use the inventory tracking functionality. This alone becomes a critical issue if you attempt to integrate with an eCommerce platform. We also can't report on the sales performance of items. For example, is a specific category of products trending up or down?

At an absolute minimum the Sales Receipt needs to allow for multiple payment methods, each with its own 'Deposit to' field. With that one small change we would be in a much better place.

Finally, if I look at this from a macro level, it seems that a specific transaction type for sales register end-of-shift and end-of-day reports would be useful. The basic requirement of a Customer record with a Sales Receipt seems like a workaround from the get-go. I have to believe a significant percentage of QuickBooks customers use POS systems with varying levels of data granularity. I have to believe that there is a better way to capture this activity into QuickBooks. In fact, beyond providing a better GUI-based approach, the APIs could be extended to provide a POS vendor-agnostic data input mechanism. Imagine the value for customers - and potential customers - when all of the iPad-based POS startups can proclaim a seamless, transactional, inventory-updating integration they can provide to QuickBooks.

Feedback and Knowledge Base