I suggest you ...

Job Costing and Job Project Tracking

Have Job Cost or Project Cost or tracking function within Quickbooks Online.

5,420 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    info shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  AdminQuickBooks Care (Admin, QuickBooks Online) responded  · 

Welcome to QuickBooks Projects! Projects help you organize all the pieces that make up a project, including transactions, time, and running reports so you always know how your project’s doing. This feature is currently only for QuickBooks Online Plus in Canada, UK, United States and Australia.

Please see this article for more information about projects:
    https://community.intuit.com/articles/1549960

This is just the beginning for Projects, and we’d love your feedback. You’ll see a feedback button in your project. Tell us how it’s going and what we can do to make Projects better.

754 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Projects: Transaction list should show Purchase Orders (w/status) and Estimates(w/status)

• Becki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I turned the projects feature on in quickbooks online plus but "projects" is missing from my dashboard. How do I make it appear in the list?

• Shariq Mohammad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With DASH for Quickbooks, you can easily:
        • Have answers from anywhere
        • Have confidence in what your staff is doing
        • Know how much money is outstanding from clients
        • Know how projects are unfolding
        • Be comfortable with cash flow.
        And all of this is accessible RIGHT FROM YOUR PHONE!

Customizable and embeddable anywhere powered by Power BI.

Please reach out to me at smohammad@turtle.works

• Connie Tyler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would like to see job costing to work like in QBDT, by customer, including job estimates, budgets & profitability reports, and allocate labor costs. Any updates when or if we'll see these updates.

• Willie Liebrand commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have just checked out www.xero.com and have signed up for a trial. If I am satisfied I will cancel my QuickBook subscription.

Xero seem to have all the project costing features I need and it is not a work around.

Regarding job costing and your questions:
        We do use sub-contractors, we do not use time tracking in Quickbooks but would consider it if I had more info about how to use it. For subs I create a bill and then pay bill with a check. Include customer info if it applies to that invoice.

• Benoit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello,

I would like to be able to know the real project cost, including the labor cost.

In the profit and loss report for a Project, labor cost should be included.

Project costing should also take in consideration non-billable hours. Event if these hours are not billable to the client, we have to pay for that labor!

Thanks a lot!

• Willie Liebrand commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Terri, You are clearly knowledgeable on the subject of costing. I have seen the type of costing that your are talking about in a manufacturing plant where there was an entire costing department breaking down all operating costs and applying them to the product manufacturing cost. A massive undertaking.

However, small businesses only require the direct costs of a project. Nothing more, nothing less. All operating costs are thrown into the 'overheads' bucket.

The desktop version has a job costing feature which is exactly what is required for a small business. Taking it away because it does not suit the needs of large companies does not make sense. The small business just wants to know if the project was completed within the estimated budget. It does not have to be complicated.

We need the ability to assign a transaction to a project / job, which is typically a number. Oh, and the project / job needs to be assigned to a client. The desktop version worked perfectly in this regard.

• George commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very basic at the moment.
        You need to have project numbers and sub numbers for line items.

• cory commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't see this "You’ll see a feedback button in your project." We need ability to assign specific projects to employees so that time tracking employees don't see entire customer list when entering hours. Also, can you not have all projects show in our customer list?

• Tricia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd love to do project/job estimates by employee and then show the estimate v actual by employee. I have jobs that limit the amount of time a certain employee can work on the job and I currently have to track this in Excel by doing a lot of monthly data entry.

• dntoto@msn.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just want a box on the invoice to state job company name, address and city. We work on different commercial buildings t like malls, and need to state the store name.

You need to add back the employee wages back into the job costing, like it was on the desktop.

I would like to see a section in projects that allows you to add in additional costs. Not everything will have a specific expense or bill to connect to the project but they are costs all the same. Inventory item and supplies bought in bulk for example. Without being able to add these costs means that the profit shown for the project is not correct.

• herb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks Teri for that explanation. Is there a product available to a small business, that is reasonably good at Job Costing that is relatively affordable? Oh, and cloud base?

• Teri Wilt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not work for Intuit but I have done job/project cost accounting for over 30 years so I can't speak for them but I have seen this Q&A go on for decades and see why. What I see begins with lack of understanding on both sides (Intuit and users) as to what true job/project costing really is or what is required and you must first know to do it right. The amusing part to me is that there are so many people who think they were doing job costing on QBDT and lost it on QBO, and if what they were doing is all they needed/wanted/knew to do then sure it must seem like a loss to them, but FYI to those folks -- you did not really have true job costing with QBDT either so for me seems like no great loss there to be so upset about as QB, both QBDT or QBO have a long way to go to do true job cost accounting as it is intended to be utilized. True job/project (same thing) costing requires allocating TOTAL cost incurred by a company to one job or another, meaning every single penny spent by the company ultimately must be allocated to a job, no leftovers. Otherwise you are not looking at the true total cost of a job, it is just that simple. Without doing that, who is paying for those extra cost that are not billed on jobs, you are, as the biz owner you are eating those "leftover" cost not allocated to jobs, those are just coming right out of profit as you are not including them in jobs being billed to customers, which is so crazy to me. My guess is that someone at Intuit finally figured this out and now they are havng to re-think this since there is alot more to this to do it correctly and to offer same as in QBDT in QBO would be offering the same half-ass job costing as that was doing so I am just guessing enough people figured that out and complained that they were sold a system and told it does job costing when all it really does is let you add job codes to certain transactions, which are called Direct costs on jobs but there is zero system functionality for the part that requires a system, which is to allocate all of the other (indirect) costs to jobs too. My further guess is that this issue was likely brought to light as an issue by QB users, like my clients, who are all Govt contractors, which means they have grants or contracts with state or federal Govt where proper project costing is a REQUIREMENT of the contract, where they can actually lose a contract or not be awarded in the first place if they cannot pass audit of accounting system. I know all this very well since that is what my biz has done for the last decade, along with thousands of others who do the same work as me, to assist companies that want to become Govt contractors since there is alot of money to be made and Govt always pays and pays very timely IF you bill correctly can be as quick as 3-5 days so that is where the rubber meets the road and if you can't bill Govt correctly (properly allocating total cost to projects on a cumulative basis, you won't get paid till you do). So I can only imagine how many companies have run into that little surprise too late to not wreak havoc on their business with whatever they decide to do to resolve that issue to get paid for their work or worse how many could not resolve timely to keep their grant or contract and lose them or just lose alot of time and money sorting out. Either way, I assume Intuit has been blamed for this many times, maybe even sued since the financial impact on a small business could be devastating and close doors. So my guess is that Intuit is approaching job cost more carefully this time around to avoid those issues, since the only thing worse than no job costing is doing it wrong. I'm not looking to point fingers here or trying to get clients or whatever, just sharing since i keep seeing this battle go on for so long, where i don't think the real problem is even being discussed here yet and i keep waiting to see that discussion begin.

• Angela commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need to be able to turn Projects off. I just turned it on to see what it did, and now I'm stuck with it and am told I need to keep paying for the more expensive Plus plan because I turned it on! Can't quite believe this. Would appreciate a reply from Intuit.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 37 38

QuickBooks Online Feature Requests: Sales Transaction

Feedback and Knowledge Base