I suggest you ...

Place Deposit On Estimate

Would really LOVE to be able to post payments to estimates...Since there is no Sales Order Feature in QB Online we are using Estimates as Sales Orders for customers that are required to place a deposit on their order...The inability to place a deposit is messing up our receivables as it looks like these customers have credits.

56 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

quickbooks is just a marketing giant monster there are out there more reliable accounting software that manage deposits, retainers, trusts and escrows.

• Will Chin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just called Quickbooks and they told me this isn't a working feature on QBO yet. Their software engineers really need to give it some attention.

• Tarra Davis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We own a catering business, and had been using QuickBooks for our books, and another program for invoicing. As part of our business, we require a 50% non-refundable deposit to reserve the date, and the final balance would be due 7 days prior to the event. With the other software, we could easily request a partial payment on the invoice that would be due immediately, and when the client submitted payment, the software would update their invoice accordingly. I tried to submit an estimate this morning to a client only realize that is not an option with QuickBooks, but the workaround is to send multiple invoices?? Should it have to be that confusing?? I am adding my voice to the vote for this feature. Thank you.

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

DEPOSITS - Intuit really needs to get the deposit function working properly. Myself and hundreds of others have been complaining about this for months, but no changes. I don't know why solving this issue is so difficult for Intuit. An estimate should be able to be converted into a work order once it has been approved by the customer. This can work for any business that first offers an estimate or proposal for their product or service. Once converted into a work order we should have the option to accept deposits and payments towards the work order. We shouldn't have to create an invoice unless, or until, the service or product is ready to be paid in full. An Invoice should only need to be created when we are ready to request the final payment from the customer. Why doesn't intuit understand this simple concept. It's pretty standard stuff here. And for those that run a retail store where a product is handed to the customer after immediate payment, they can skip the estimate, and work order stages and go straight to the invoice and receipt if necessary. There are literally hundreds (at minimum) of people posting questions, work arounds, and complaints about their confusing methods regarding deposits. We shouldn't need to be confused or find a work around when using one of the top accounting/billing softwares in the world. Please figure this deposit thing out for your customers Intuit!!!

QuickBooks Online:
        Create a deposit field on an estimate so when sent to the customer they will know the amount required. When the estimate is turned into an invoice and sent to the customer, it should give the customer the option to pay that deposit amount online or pay the full amount?
        Currently when you create an Invoice and put an amount in the deposit field, quickbooks thinks you've already received that amount?

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, we could really use this as well. If we can't create a work order then let us apply a deposit to an estimate so we don't have to invoice the estimate before any work has even started. Sometimes we get a deposit and the work doesn't start for weeks or months. Why make us invoice the estimate to apply a payment so early? I know there are ways around this, but it's too complicated to use a runaround for this. Please make this simple.

I agree. The last program we used we could email a quote to the client and they could pay a deposit online. We would then make the quote in to a project.

As it is now, we email a quote. Then we have to email them an invoice to collect the deposit payment. Just seems like extra steps.

QuickBooks Online Feature Requests: Deposits

Feedback and Knowledge Base