I suggest you ...

Job Costing and Job Project Tracking

Have Job Cost or Project Cost or tracking function within Quickbooks Online.

5,230 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    info shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  AdminQuickBooks Care (Admin, QuickBooks Online) responded  · 

Welcome to QuickBooks Projects! Projects help you organize all the pieces that make up a project, including transactions, time, and running reports so you always know how your project’s doing. This feature is currently only for QuickBooks Online Plus in Canada, UK, United States and Australia.

Please see this article for more information about projects:
    https://community.intuit.com/articles/1549960

This is just the beginning for Projects, and we’d love your feedback. You’ll see a feedback button in your project. Tell us how it’s going and what we can do to make Projects better.

733 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Darren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Intuit....

Job costing function = additional users
        additional users = additional revenue
        additional revenue = higher share price
        higher share price = happy investors
        happy investors = bigger bonus for management....

Rocket science it ain't....

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Web Development......QBO needs to have job costing. I have used QB for years and though it allows me to work from home this one feature may have me leaving. Please at least explain why we cant have it. I may have to look elsewhere because of this.

Job costing is a most not only for business functionality but the IRS demands construction tax return based on completed jobs. Please give us job costing!

• mcvickchic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to create separate "customers" under each customer to do "job costing". It would sure be nice to have REAL job costing available!!

Please create a simple way to assign expenses to various jobs. So I can see how much I made on one job or all jobs under that client. So....profit/loss for each individual job.

Thanks!

• Bill Empsall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add job/class costing to payroll. This is essential for non-profits which charge payroll to multiple grants/programs. Make sure the fringe benefits allocate as well.

• Tina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Job costing in QBO has been a nightmare! we came up with a complex way to do it, but in the end it costs us more in bookkeeping hours--- not a viable option. For a few years I have entered requests for this-- I have known that we were not the only ones clamoring for this! We are in the construction industry, and truth be known, we have navigated away from QBO for this reason, and use QBO sparingly--- Why is this feature so difficult to add?

• Kristy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Something we really miss from the desktop version, in QBO you are not able to assign worked hours to a specific job, please bring back this feature!

• DJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Job Costing and Estimating are essential in construction. My boss would go to an online version in a heartbeat if it had a good estimating process and a good job costing system. Don't know how many QB Contractor users there are, but I bet the number of QBO Contractor users would soar if these two functions actually worked on a job site or visiting a customer...

• Jeannine Shaw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, job costing is needed for both construction entities and consulting firms that do time and reimbursables billing.

I agree also! Without the ability to allocate employee hours for job costing we can't use QBO at all. It's a shame, because I would really love to move to a cloud-based system.

• Bobby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Anonymous!, quick tip: if you're using Plus. Enable locations, use the locations as the names of your jobs or projects… so every time you incur an expense or receive income you can assign it to a location a.k.a the project/job… you can from there run the P&L and customize it per locations/jobs… so you can see how profitable each job is… or you can use the Sub Customer method.

• V. Ortiz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need to manage Job Cost - Each Class represent a Job, Construction is a Industry of measuring job cost, Cost of Good Sold, Expenses and Payroll. Right Now when we enter all payroll information in the weekly timesheet, we assigned a customer and class to that payroll for payment and job costing. When we order the P&L Report by Class or by Customer we do not get ANY payroll expense in that report, making the job wrongly classified as PROFITABLE, but it lacks the payroll wages and tax.

• Shanan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree this is critical. Any business that does project-based work needs to be able to track expenses against what is billed to the client to manage profitability. I second Dave Ahlers' request above -- which is similar to the way we had our accounts set up in the desktop version of Quickbooks.

• DAWNtnt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Profit and loss report by job seems I lost it when I went from qb desktop to online.

• matthew bernier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Or if we could consolidate the sub-customers/jobs it created under just one customer it would be a lot better for online!

• Andronik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be expanded to Products/services, vendors, and accounts, in short, any list item.

QuickBooks Online Feature Requests: Customer Center

Feedback and Knowledge Base