I suggest you ...

Combine Billable Expenses on 1 line item on an invoice

We really want to be able to combine billable expenses on an invoice as 1 line item.
For example: Multiple travel expenses were incurred on a project for a customer. We now want to invoice for ALL the travel expenses on an invoice, but only want to show as 1 line item on the invoice - Travel Expenses = Total amount for ALL travel incurred.

151 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    debbie shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  AdminQuickBooks Care (Admin, QuickBooks Online) responded  · 

Thank you for your suggestion, support, and patience. We now have the ability to combine Billable Time on Invoices!

If you haven’t tried this already, all you need to do is when creating an Invoice, click on the pull down on the right side of the Invoice, and choose Group Time by Service. Then it will create one line for each Service item.

Please keep telling us what you’d like to see. We love hearing from you!

The QuickBooks Online Team

58 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Guy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Combining billable expenses is badly needed in QBO. I also thought it had been addressed but it still does not work!!

• Anne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This doesn't work. I have QB 2008 Premier Contractor Edition.
        I need to group my items into one line.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I keep searching online for a way to do this and every answer I find is something that doesn't work. Why the QB Online Team keep posting wrong information? It would have at least saved me time if days ago I had learned that there is no way of doing this.

This does not work for re-imburesable expenses. Hotel costs do not have the same rate so you cannot group by activity (or in this case all Hotel costs) even if the product and description are identical. This is very frustrating.

• Jessica Bie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So sad this is not actually complete. Combining billable expenses (not time, EXPENSES) on invoices is a much-needed feature. This is not complete, QB!

I just spent 2 hours with QB Online support to no avail. This is not a feature that works.

This idea should not be marked as completed.This request is to group billable expenses on an invoice not billable time.

Great Idea but I'm still not able to collapse my billable expenses in to one line.

• David Kohl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

However ... I wasn't looking for billable time. I was looking for collapsing billable expenses. I'd like to group all expenses into a single line-item so that I do not need to show each individual expense line-item on the face of the invoice.

• Clay Welch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey this is awesome!! I love the feature already. Thank you for completing the request.

• Juan Urruela commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be very helpful if you could collapse billable items into one invoice line. For example, if I bill a customer for fuel consumed in a month. I could enter the expenses as billable, and then when I add them to the invoice, get a subtotal fuel line versus individual lines for every fuel purchase. Same with "external labor" I can expense and pay as they work, mark billable, and then get my total on one line on the invoice.

• Peter Muyzers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's been 2 years since this feature request and this is still not possible?? I may have to move to a different accounting software where this is possible. My entire business is centered around this need to group & total multiple travel expenses as a single item on the client's invoice. Booo, Quickbooks!

• lauraemcclure@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. this is a very important feature that is also stopping my firm from moving to online. I want to bill time from time sheets, but I don't want the details of that time to print on the invoice -- just want to show a description of the service and the total fee. Similar to the way desktop lets you bill time, but change the description so that hours from several different people on many different dates show up as one line on the client invoice.

• Patrick Kelley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There should be a feature to combine invoices, with option to subtotal for each set of line items that used to be part of an invoice.

• Matthew Bucher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it would be REALLY helpful to combine multiple billable expenses into one expense sheet.

Example: I got on sales trips with a client and all expenses are able to be billed back to them. Clicking "Billable" and selecting the Client get me more than halfway there, but I'm not going to send them 20 different invoices - batch-selecting all billables and combining them into one easy to read billing summary would save all the 'by hand' work...

• Clay Welch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Exactly. This is holding back my entire time tracking workflow. Now I have to track it outside of QBO and enter it all combined right before I create invoices.

I work with a lot of materials so when it comes to invoicing there is a long list of everything I used. What most of my customers and I want is a simple line that says materials and the total. I know that I can simply not mark Billable and just add everything up and make a material line but then I have a hard time keeping in my head what is what and lose time going back through receipts.

← Previous 1 3

QuickBooks Online Feature Requests: Sales Transaction

Feedback and Knowledge Base