I suggest you ...

QBO Needs a Downloadable Backup and Restore!

We just found out that Intuit does not keep backups of our accounting data online so that we could not restore our company to a previous point like we used to be able to do in the desktop version. We find this unacceptable and at this time we would not recommend QBO to anybody based on this major flaw.
These are only a few reasons why restoring to a previous point may be necessary:
1) Angry employee changes/deletes transactions maliciously before quitting
2) New bookkeeper decides to rename all the accounts to a system they like but that confuses the rest of the company and transactions are placed in wrong places
3) Employee decides to go through all transactions of a certain type and change them, then realizing it was a mistake after having spent days working on it

I've seen all of these myself over the years. How many other scenarios there are where you wish you had a backup to restore to?

We've been using QBO for a couple years and I have to say I always assumed there would be backups of my data like all good cloud services provide. I've spoken to several support reps about backing up my data and they tell me that Intuit is not responsible for my data and I would have to recreate all transactions if something happened to them. I've tried using the Export feature to create backups but it's cumbersome since it requires Internet Explorer. How is this not a feature already? With the desktop version we'd backup every few times we closed the company files. If you don't want to store the multiple backups, how about giving us a single click option to download a backup, plus a feature to restore to a backup from file? Or even better a way to simply roll back to a previous date.
QBO needs to implement a downloadable backup. The backups that Intuit makes and keeps are just for the sake of maintaining the current data. But there's no historical backup you can reference if you want to roll your file back to a previous version, e.g. after you made many significant changes and need to undo them. This is a major issue and might force us to leave the QBO product.

2,624 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

165 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Albin Ronstrom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No Backups and No Undo Button? There should be an undo button. And backups should be an automated feature. (daily, weekly, Monthly) One should be able to set the frequency of the back ups, the frequency of over writing back ups, the frequency of a master back up (archival), and some type of email letting you know when a backup is available for downloading. An Undo button would be very helpful also.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

QBO is not compliant to CRA thus need to keep our data in Canada, and allow us to make a backup.

I need to have a restorable local backup of my data from quickbooks online. My company is closed but there may be some ongoing unidentified issues for which i will need to get back into the data. But don't want to continue paying for quickbooks online unless I need to access this data. How can a get a restorable backup so that if i ever need to get back in, I can resign up for quickbooks online, restore my data, and have access to the in depth items that i need. I can't just print reports,, as I might need tranactional data, going back deveral years.

Using the cloud is great, but I need to create a local copy (backup) of my entire quickbooks data. When I attempt to do that it requires using Internet Explorer. First of all, I use a Mac, so Internet Explorer isn't even an option, but even if I used a PC, I wouldn't be using Internet Explorer. And I am not alone. Only 7.8% of users are using IE. http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp. How about supporting other browsers?

I'd like to be able to backup my company data, like we could in the desktop QuickBooks. For example, if I make a change to an account, there is no way to revert back in the online version. Thus, any major changes are risky.

Snapshots of comapny data. It would be great to bea bale to roll the company to a previous time. In the desktop version it was very simple to restore a backup if a mistake was made and the integerty of the data was compromized.

• Louis Swing commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Intuit Data Protect only works with QB Desktop! Currently, there is no way to "backup company" in QB Online. This is a major drawback, and it is keeping lots of folks from moving to the online version. In the Desktop version, I use the "backup company" feature monthly, and I would like similar functionality in the online version. Ideally, in QBO, there should be a "backup company" feature. Yes, Intuit advertises that we get "backup" with the online version, but this "backup" cannot restore my company file! It really only means that the Intuit servers are backed up on the internet.

For the last year and a half, I have been on the old version. Older payments would randomly disappear. When I called customer support, they said the issues would be fixed when I was upgraded. However, it was very scary to not have a way to backup our files especially when QBO started losing data and no one could help me. They would just tell me over and over that I would be updated the next month and it would fix everything. It took over a year and a half to finally get updated (Dec 2014). I still have a missing payment from 2007.

Huge flaw with this product.

We need to back up the file so that if we want to make changes or a user makes a change that makes the file incorrect, we can get back to an original position

The ability to backup your data. Very important as I don't want to ever be in a position of having to recreate my data if something went wrong.

If you don't incorporate a back up or export function that allows me to back up and save a local copy, then I will not continue using this.

I make mistakes. I need restore points or back up options that allow me to undo my mistakes.

I'm not the only one who needs this.

I agree, I used t use the backup feature in the desktop version before doing anything I was unsure of or somethng that needed to be correct eg wages/liabilities. Sadly QBO does not have a roll back feature or backup. I too have thought of going back to desktop as the roll back feature was important to me.

Why is it that this feature is available in the US version but not the International.!!!
        It is such a useful feature please make it available for everyone

We need a backup-up and restore feature!

If we want to implement any major changes or experiment with a new feature, we HAVE to be able to back-up our Books and be able to Restore them if something goes wrong!

I cannot not recommend QBO to my clients until this issue is dealt with. I would like easy access to backups, because often times i want to make a test file to see how the program will react to different settings or transactions.

• Sue Mays, CPA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really a critical issue for the integrity of the customer accounting systems. Given the rampant internet fraud and scandals, I think we have been very lucky to date that there have not been incidents or known incidents of fraud (either as suggested under the previous comment) or by malicious predators. Beyond that you have the poor customer whose husband logs in and tries to help, does not pay attention to the pop up window "this will delete the existing file" since he does not realize the file he is uploading is out of date, and uploads it anyway. This actually happened to me, and was a very disturbing issue. I am looking for other software at this point as a CPA, I feel it is my duty to make sure that my clients data is retreivable and backed up in a manner that would sustain against acts of fraud, or accidents. Seems to me a 30 day retrievable file for the overwritten data would be reasonable, and/or 2nd request by client's accountant (if invited to the file) required to overwrite exisiting data. In my perspective, the existing paramaters are too loose and invite error if not fraud. Thank you for this forum.

QuickBooks Online Feature Requests: Import/Export

Feedback and Knowledge Base