I suggest you ...

QBO Needs a Downloadable Backup and Restore!

We just found out that Intuit does not keep backups of our accounting data online so that we could not restore our company to a previous point like we used to be able to do in the desktop version. We find this unacceptable and at this time we would not recommend QBO to anybody based on this major flaw.
These are only a few reasons why restoring to a previous point may be necessary:
1) Angry employee changes/deletes transactions maliciously before quitting
2) New bookkeeper decides to rename all the accounts to a system they like but that confuses the rest of the company and transactions are placed in wrong places
3) Employee decides to go through all transactions of a certain type and change them, then realizing it was a mistake after having spent days working on it

I've seen all of these myself over the years. How many other scenarios there are where you wish you had a backup to restore to?

We've been using QBO for a couple years and I have to say I always assumed there would be backups of my data like all good cloud services provide. I've spoken to several support reps about backing up my data and they tell me that Intuit is not responsible for my data and I would have to recreate all transactions if something happened to them. I've tried using the Export feature to create backups but it's cumbersome since it requires Internet Explorer. How is this not a feature already? With the desktop version we'd backup every few times we closed the company files. If you don't want to store the multiple backups, how about giving us a single click option to download a backup, plus a feature to restore to a backup from file? Or even better a way to simply roll back to a previous date.
QBO needs to implement a downloadable backup. The backups that Intuit makes and keeps are just for the sake of maintaining the current data. But there's no historical backup you can reference if you want to roll your file back to a previous version, e.g. after you made many significant changes and need to undo them. This is a major issue and might force us to leave the QBO product.

2,624 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

165 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can only echo the comments below. One can only imagine that QBO has been designed by a junior IT analyst and rushed into production without any QC procedures. How can it ever have reached public relase like this??? How can Intuit think that any accountant who wants to keep his professional reputation (and PI!) intact would ever recommend such a product???

for any good accounting practices, being able to have a backup is paramount for the success of any business.

Ability to create a backup file (export) to QuickBooks desktop... QBO US version offers....

• Christine Kovash commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

QBO has become a very unstable product since the addition of unimportant things like colors and graphs that add no value. I want to be able to select a bill on Bill Pay and have the resulting payment & vendor correct. That is not the current status of QBO.

• Jo Landers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am using QBO b/c some of my clients are. But I won't consider moving my own books to the online system until there's a solid backup process in place that doesn't require owning a copy of the current-year desktop version to use.

• Mersades Petersen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

They were capable of resetting mine after an odd error so I feel like this is some kind of control factor. In my mind, their only gain from this ineptitude is possibly making certain that we can never switch to another company using save files... but jealously guarding our information won't completely deter someone determined to snub them.

I've been on the look out for a different cloud based software ever since I discovered this issue and you can bet that I won't be very loyal until it's resolved.

• melissa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having a backup is basic business continuity. That this product is marketed for businesses without this feature is a major oversight on QB's part. I am leaving this platform because of this. I cannot, in good conscience, use this program for my business. I was told by customer service that I could go through a 7 day process where a QB team member will make a backup on my behalf, but that it would be readable by their desktop version (which I would have to pay for) only.
        I am disappointed more than anything. If I had known this from the beginning I would never had made the laborious switch. Please please quickbooks listen to everyone here on this topic.

• melissa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please provide basic business continuity for quickbooks online by allowing exports, backups and restores from within the QB online platform. without requiring someone to buy a quickbooks desktop product from you.

• m5finance commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add the ability for a customer to create a backup on the company's data on a local PC, and be able to restore the company's data from a local backup copy, similar to what is available in the Desktop version. It is shocking that this capability is not available.

Crazy this is not available. I am rethinking using quick books all together because of this one MAJOR flaw. I would like to know what the future plans are for this ASAP.

We REALLY need a way to manually backup or be able to use some kind of restore point. If for example a mistake was made and I need to go back... how do I do this? if an angry employee quit and decided to delete everything HOW DO I GET THIS BACK? its seriously making me rethink using QBO. If you can please let me know what the future plans are for this I would reaaally appreciate it. Please implement some kind of backup/restore features.

Enable QBO to automatically back up to a CSV file each evening. That would allow a local backup, but also would allow a company to check history, or go back to an earlier date if needed.

• Mike Appolonia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I couldn't agree with this request more! I was stunned to learn there are no restore points. Scary. For example, our company had to alter the ship to address on many invoices, which for some reason caused the link to payments for those invoices to be deleted . Obviously changing ship to addresses should not delete the relation to the payment. Anyway, recreating those payments was a major problem that could have easily been repaired by restoring a backup.

• Scott Moore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is it for me. I need to find another solution. You mean I can't backup my financial data? No backup? I have no local copy? No local backup? WTF? This is ludicrous.

• Whitney Boe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really terrifying that there is no backup/restore function for QBO. Seriously, I may have to go back to a desktop version until this is added.

QuickBooks Online Feature Requests: Import/Export

Feedback and Knowledge Base