I suggest you ...

QBO Needs a Downloadable Backup and Restore!

We just found out that Intuit does not keep backups of our accounting data online so that we could not restore our company to a previous point like we used to be able to do in the desktop version. We find this unacceptable and at this time we would not recommend QBO to anybody based on this major flaw.
These are only a few reasons why restoring to a previous point may be necessary:
1) Angry employee changes/deletes transactions maliciously before quitting
2) New bookkeeper decides to rename all the accounts to a system they like but that confuses the rest of the company and transactions are placed in wrong places
3) Employee decides to go through all transactions of a certain type and change them, then realizing it was a mistake after having spent days working on it

I've seen all of these myself over the years. How many other scenarios there are where you wish you had a backup to restore to?

We've been using QBO for a couple years and I have to say I always assumed there would be backups of my data like all good cloud services provide. I've spoken to several support reps about backing up my data and they tell me that Intuit is not responsible for my data and I would have to recreate all transactions if something happened to them. I've tried using the Export feature to create backups but it's cumbersome since it requires Internet Explorer. How is this not a feature already? With the desktop version we'd backup every few times we closed the company files. If you don't want to store the multiple backups, how about giving us a single click option to download a backup, plus a feature to restore to a backup from file? Or even better a way to simply roll back to a previous date.
QBO needs to implement a downloadable backup. The backups that Intuit makes and keeps are just for the sake of maintaining the current data. But there's no historical backup you can reference if you want to roll your file back to a previous version, e.g. after you made many significant changes and need to undo them. This is a major issue and might force us to leave the QBO product.

2,624 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

165 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can actually try using "Cloudbacko Pro" software as this software gives backup and helps restoring also, CloudBacko Pro also supports the backup of individual guest virtual machines (guest VMs) of various VMware hosts, including ESX, ESXi (both free and paid version), Server, Workstation, and Player. Leaving a link just check: http://www.cloudbacko.com/hyper-v-backup.jsp

The Microsoft Hyper-V guest VMs backup is one of the best backup plans offered by Cloud Backo Pro. It gave me reliable and rapid solution for backing up my virtual machines. I would say that with guest VM hot backup, it is an optimum solution for all backup related problems. It helps in Restoring also, leaving a link just check: http://www.cloudbacko.com/hyper-v-backup.jsp

I used VMware by CloudBacko Pro on my individual virtual machine for my business. It helped me in getting multi-destination concurrent backup for VMware and also a rapid incremental backup that minimized the backup window. So I would suggest that you must go for VMware by CloudBacko Pro for better backup plans. Leaving a link below just check: http://www.cloudbacko.com/hyper-v-backup.jsp

I will not switch to QBO until data export back to desk top version is available. It feels like entrapment to not be able to do this.

• Bruce commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having crashed a few too many times, I agree that historical backups are critical. I also understand the limitation of available space "in the cloud". But a company that provides such an important service as Intuit does with QuickBooks, should also provide a reasonable means of data security which includes back-ups.

• Jeff Cotton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow us to create a backup of the file so when we have substantial changes to make then old records are preserved. I worked with Tech support over 1.5 hours yesterday to do get this done and she and I both quit, kicking it up to tier two tech support of some kind. I.E. Intuit was going to have to send me a copy and they would let me know when I could get it. This is ridiculous. This process should be effortless. This is fundamental to natural accounting procedures and to have it so poorly executed is unacceptable. I was in the process of moving my first client to QBO because even though I (and everyone in my office doesn't like it) I see it as being helpful from me being able to help clients with their books a little easier. But the software is sluggish and cumbersome I have stayed away. Now as I am bringing on my first client I find I can't create backups without tech support! I do hope you can improve this or at least warn us so we can all stay away. The software should do what it says it can do without us having to stand on our heads to get it to work.

Downloadable Back up (I see you've already been asked about this)
        Ability to work off-line

We have been using QBO for several years but it has only caused us problems that take too much time to figure out and correct. Not having access to a complete backup and your system not able to backup the complete files is not acceptable. I would not recommend QBO to anyone. This back up problem needs to be corrected and your representatives need to fully understand your system. I have been walked through the Export feature several times (and it takes along time for any backup to come through) and it does not have all the information that the Desktop version has. This has caused problems with our CPA since they do not get the complete information to do taxes. We are considering changing to the Desktop version but that will be quite a process that will include a lot of hands on paperwork to convert and start a Desktop version. You have had many years to correct this problem and I think your IT people can do it but that keeps us on your system and paying.

What is the point of having mobile uploading of receipts in the field when you can not get them downloaded in a backup or conversion to QB desktop. If you want a backup of these you have to print one at a time. No time savings in this online program if you are interested in keeping decent backups of your data. Thank you OB online, I am looking for something better.

I agree, They do this on purpose so that you are married to them forever. They don't want to make a good offline backup or conversion. It is so obvious.

If we are responsible for our own data, then we need to be capable of fulfilling that responsibility. We definitely need backup ability! Very disappointing.

• lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

BACKUPS ARE NEEDED...NOW!!

I learned a very hard lesson today. We downloaded a series of transactions from Chase and somehow it added transactions from 3 years ago. It will take 8 hours to fix this of we're lucky, all because you have NO BACKUP OF DATA.....INSANE!!

• lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

BACKUP OF DATA

It seems there is no provision to backup data with QB ONLINE? How can this be? If my data gets corrupt or a hacker or disgruntled employee erases data, you have no provision to provide a backup of my data from an hour, day or week or year before?

Backup of data in 2015 is SOP for any cloud service. WHEN can we expect this? How can our most sensitive data not be backed up??

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is so essential! Sometimes work takes people to places where they can't get online! LET US HAVE OUR OWN DATA!

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely! Backups are the only safety in digital data. This is simply elementary for anyone dealing with anything in computers.

And YES TO THE ONE-CLICK DOWNLOAD! Especially if QB says they aren't responsible for our data! With a hefty monthly subscription, at least they should give us the tools to be responsible for our own data. Without a backup and the ability to easily download data, QB Online is begging for disasters and pain!

QuickBooks Online Feature Requests: Import/Export

Feedback and Knowledge Base