I suggest you ...

QBO Needs a Downloadable Backup and Restore!

We just found out that Intuit does not keep backups of our accounting data online so that we could not restore our company to a previous point like we used to be able to do in the desktop version. We find this unacceptable and at this time we would not recommend QBO to anybody based on this major flaw.
These are only a few reasons why restoring to a previous point may be necessary:
1) Angry employee changes/deletes transactions maliciously before quitting
2) New bookkeeper decides to rename all the accounts to a system they like but that confuses the rest of the company and transactions are placed in wrong places
3) Employee decides to go through all transactions of a certain type and change them, then realizing it was a mistake after having spent days working on it

I've seen all of these myself over the years. How many other scenarios there are where you wish you had a backup to restore to?

We've been using QBO for a couple years and I have to say I always assumed there would be backups of my data like all good cloud services provide. I've spoken to several support reps about backing up my data and they tell me that Intuit is not responsible for my data and I would have to recreate all transactions if something happened to them. I've tried using the Export feature to create backups but it's cumbersome since it requires Internet Explorer. How is this not a feature already? With the desktop version we'd backup every few times we closed the company files. If you don't want to store the multiple backups, how about giving us a single click option to download a backup, plus a feature to restore to a backup from file? Or even better a way to simply roll back to a previous date.
QBO needs to implement a downloadable backup. The backups that Intuit makes and keeps are just for the sake of maintaining the current data. But there's no historical backup you can reference if you want to roll your file back to a previous version, e.g. after you made many significant changes and need to undo them. This is a major issue and might force us to leave the QBO product.

2,624 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

165 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Quickbooks Team:

Do we have an option to backup our financial records or no. If yes...would you please guide us through the process. Thank you and will appreciate your response.. Cheers, Jennifer

• Louis James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To say that I'm aghast is an understatement. For two reasons:

1.- All these comments are WELL-THOUGHT OUT. All are considered and well presented. WHERE IS THE RESPONSE FROM INTUIT? Where are the engineers? It is apparent that they seem NOT to monitor this board. It says "Under Review" with a date of Jul 2, 2015. Does that mean no one from Intuit has visited this page since?

2.- I TOO agree that QBO needs archival backups - either downloadable and/or archival to a cloud solution IMMEDIATELY. Every possible reason has been given here.

How can we comfortably sell QBO with this MAJOR flaw? Unfortunately, QBO is being used by many of our clients. So we have NO choice but to learn and use the product. How can they put us in this position?

I would hope I am proven wrong and that "they" - those engineers in White Coats would dignify all these comments with some sort of response.

Here's hoping!

Oh wow! I am just reading these comments and this is like a last straw for me. I'm definitely going to a different product unless I get reassurance immediately that this is a fix that is happening NOW! I've been VERY frustrated with QBO from the beginning but this takes the cake! I agree that there should be a way to download data and to reinstate any download as the current data if needed. But technically that shouldn't even be necessary. My impression WAS that one of the benefits of having a cloud system was that the data would be preserved/backed up in such a way that it could never be totally lost. I assumed that process would take place at least daily. Seems I've clearly made far too many assumptions! At this moment, I'm thinking, "I'm done with QBO. So done!"

• Kevin Kearns commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would support the concept of having the ability to periodically pull a backup and store it outside of QB as long as there was also the ability to 'reset' QBO to a prior backup.

If it weren't possible to 'download' a backup and then restore from this backup, it seems as though there should at least be a way that allowed the books to be 'reset' to a prior date, effectively wiping out all the transactions/changes that took place since that time, and then re-enter all the transactions.

• NV Accounting commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Backup and restore our own database... Your server is NOT reliable and we keep losing data...!!!! this is not acceptable....

• Danny Lynch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Downloadable back up is essential. A customer focussed company should always put the needs of its customers first. If you don't take responsibility for our data, give us the tools to do so!!!

• desertman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just finished the QuickBooks Online exam and must say that I really like QuickBooks online. However, it is clear to me that I will not use this application until it has a usable backup/restore function - with the possibility to keep as many backups as I want and with the options to either restore back to QuickBooks Online or to QuickBooks Desktop.

Right at the end of my training QuickBooks Online went offline for about two hours and I have learned that this is happening sometimes. What if I have to prepare and pay sales tax at that moment?

No backup, no use.

I am in the process of trying Quickbooks Online. I have used Quickbooks for Mac 2012. I suggest you add an option for a local backup copy. It would be helpful that in the event of loss of connection to the internet, the user could continue to work on Quickbooks until the internet is up and then the local copy could be used to update Quickbooks online when internet access was restored.
        Also, if the data inadvertently gets corrupted by a user, it would be nice to restore to a specific previous date.

Not having a backup to rollback to or move around is INSANE thinking. I would never consider or recommend QBO to my fellow accountants unless this fundamental feature is provided.

• nana commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just used three votes on this idea. It is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE that this data is not being backed up. I will also leave if this is not fixed as data was already lost during the setup. The online version is functioning as a glorified accountant, where the desktop version allows customization that small businesses need to be successful. To quote from the sales page:

"No more back-ups
        Never worry about saving your files to an external device. QuickBooks Online works from any computer, on any device."

I thought no more backups meant I didn't have to worry about it (as much). Not that they don't offer it at all. I still plan to save to excel routinely.

Try using "Cloudbacko Pro" software for taking backup as "Cloudbacko Pro" software gives reliable services. and more over CloudBacko Pro supports the backup of individual guest virtual machines (guest VMs) resided on a Microsoft Hyper-V host. to know more about this software follow the link below: http://www.cloudbacko.com/hyper-v-backup.jsp

QuickBooks Online Feature Requests: Import/Export

Feedback and Knowledge Base