I suggest you ...

QBO Needs a Downloadable Backup and Restore!

We just found out that Intuit does not keep backups of our accounting data online so that we could not restore our company to a previous point like we used to be able to do in the desktop version. We find this unacceptable and at this time we would not recommend QBO to anybody based on this major flaw.
These are only a few reasons why restoring to a previous point may be necessary:
1) Angry employee changes/deletes transactions maliciously before quitting
2) New bookkeeper decides to rename all the accounts to a system they like but that confuses the rest of the company and transactions are placed in wrong places
3) Employee decides to go through all transactions of a certain type and change them, then realizing it was a mistake after having spent days working on it

I've seen all of these myself over the years. How many other scenarios there are where you wish you had a backup to restore to?

We've been using QBO for a couple years and I have to say I always assumed there would be backups of my data like all good cloud services provide. I've spoken to several support reps about backing up my data and they tell me that Intuit is not responsible for my data and I would have to recreate all transactions if something happened to them. I've tried using the Export feature to create backups but it's cumbersome since it requires Internet Explorer. How is this not a feature already? With the desktop version we'd backup every few times we closed the company files. If you don't want to store the multiple backups, how about giving us a single click option to download a backup, plus a feature to restore to a backup from file? Or even better a way to simply roll back to a previous date.
QBO needs to implement a downloadable backup. The backups that Intuit makes and keeps are just for the sake of maintaining the current data. But there's no historical backup you can reference if you want to roll your file back to a previous version, e.g. after you made many significant changes and need to undo them. This is a major issue and might force us to leave the QBO product.

2,624 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

165 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is a nonsense for software to not to have such functionality. Absolute disrespect of the customer.

• Francesco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitelly there is no point to not include a full data export, in many countries like Italy it's a strict requirements to have backup data of invoices

• John Ballance commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just a thought?.. A company is responsible for the security and integrity of its data. If there is no way to capture a local backup or restore from a local backup how can the company fulfil that obligation?

Local backup and restore is a MUST to enable full compliance.. Buck up Intuit!!

• Sheila C. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is so shocking that I strongly advised a new client of mine not to use QBO, so that's another customer lost, Intuit.
        I am also very nervous about leaving my current client's data here and may decide to transfer them back to a desktop version at the end of each financial year. QBO is so convenient as we can all work on the data file at the same time from different parts of the country, but at what cost??
        I feel somehow that Intuit is neglecting us somewhat. When was the last time they updated any aspect of QBO??

• Vikas Srivastava commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the original thread. I especially think this is not acceptable given that once we upgrade we cannot downgrade... A restore would allow us to downgrade and at least start where we left off before the upgrade...

I agree with most of the comments I have read. As a BAS Agent I need to be able to give my clients security. However this is not just an issue for QBO. I understand Xero and Sage have similar issues. The only One we can download a backup for is Reckon Hosted and we can upload a restore if needed. However Reckon Accounts Hosted is a bit expensive .

• Bonnie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What amazes me it that no one has considered the "What if" QB or any other cloud based company goes out of business. With no physical file on your own computer all your company info would be GONE! Image having to enter from hard copy all the records - for how many years! I have contacted QB on this issue and I get, "You can export transaction reports as a backup". REALLY! If you have a real physical FILE you can (if they configure it correctly) open it with a desktop version or get a programmer to convert the file to another software if necessary. There are no guarantees that a business will not go under. The banks in the US did. A report is NOT a backup. I feel QB is holding my accounting records hostage so I will pay and pay and pay and have no recourse to leave. Does anyone else feel this way? I want a physical file that can be created and saved to my hard drive and can be read by any QB software.

I am shocked at how bad QBO data retrieval is. I would never recommend QBO to anyone. Your data will likely be lost.

• Judy Borland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well....I just lost all of my firm data. I used Safety net. I had a backup as of August 2016. QBO will not support and I Just call safety net and they are no longer supporting this product.
        Intuit support...said too bad.. You should have know and that no one has lost data because of their servers...Just user errors. Guess we are suppose to be perfect and walk on water too.... . I have never heard of a software vender that does not have some kind of backup process. Oh and I should have been exporting my file back to desktop on a regular bases...Huh....Thought they wanted us off of Desktop. hmmmm.

This is unbelievable. I have three sets of accounts on QBO and took for granted that there was a recovery mechanism in place.

• Brad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All my QBO data is currently gone. Intuit is 'working on it', but may take weeks to resolve. I was stunned to find there is no backup. If they can't secure data, they have no business offering SaaS. And this has been 'under review' for 14 months now--what a colossal fail.

• Howard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having been a Quickbooks Desktop customer for 16 years and finally making the jump to online the is the one area that gives me the biggest concern I totally agree with everything said in the original post. We have multiple company files and actually decided to leave the other company on the desktop because of this reason. At a minimum it should be backed up daily that we are able to access WE WOULD EVEN BE WILLING TO PAY EXTRA FOR THE STORAGE SPACE!!!!

WOW - so close to finalizing my Proof of Concept for a switch to QBO and this is the major hurdle. Have worked through several concerns and workable solutions to make the switch - but this one just may change our solution - feeling best to hold off until this basic hole is sealed. What a disappointment after all my work.

• Tommy Torres commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is still under review??? It's been over a year since the original request. Very dissapointed.

• Ziyad Hermez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if we could use excel to modify our data, and then just import the data into quickbooks.

I was trying to transfer all the data from a customer to a vendor because I had mistakenly created the payee as a customer. I have about 40 lines of expenses tied to this customer, so what I did is go to Expenses, then filtered the expenses to show all expenses with the customer. I am then going one by one and modifying the payee to the vendor, and I will delete the customer.

I noticed while modifying my data, that I can export the data into an excel spreadsheet. This is great, I went in, changed one cell, and then copied it to the rest. But then I had no way to import that data. It would be great if we could work this way, export data into an excel sheet, then once we are done with it, upload it into quickbooks to overwrite our data.

This would make things much easier as we could automate things better, on quickbooks we dont' have easy ways to run batch actions, your batch actions are very limited.

Thanks, and hope this feature makes it soon!

I am so glad I stumbled on to this site. Have been flirting with idea of QBO for awhile for a variety of reasons but it seems to be missing some very scary fundamentals like this and others. I will no longer be considering it until I am confident it is a more mature product. Can anyone suggest a viable cloud-based alternative to consider?

maybe two years ago before the "update" you may have been able to back up info. but since that horrible day which it probably was an irrate employee and they lost most of the software and needed it to be reconfigured ...and unfortunately used a country that does not understand our banking system. IF you read many of the past criticisms
        you will see that items that were intuitive now take many more
        keystrokes than before....and that is the simplist problems....no back up even I as a non accountant knows that the measure is vitally important.

QuickBooks Online Feature Requests: Import/Export

Feedback and Knowledge Base