I suggest you ...

QBO Needs a Downloadable Backup and Restore!

We just found out that Intuit does not keep backups of our accounting data online so that we could not restore our company to a previous point like we used to be able to do in the desktop version. We find this unacceptable and at this time we would not recommend QBO to anybody based on this major flaw.
These are only a few reasons why restoring to a previous point may be necessary:
1) Angry employee changes/deletes transactions maliciously before quitting
2) New bookkeeper decides to rename all the accounts to a system they like but that confuses the rest of the company and transactions are placed in wrong places
3) Employee decides to go through all transactions of a certain type and change them, then realizing it was a mistake after having spent days working on it

I've seen all of these myself over the years. How many other scenarios there are where you wish you had a backup to restore to?

We've been using QBO for a couple years and I have to say I always assumed there would be backups of my data like all good cloud services provide. I've spoken to several support reps about backing up my data and they tell me that Intuit is not responsible for my data and I would have to recreate all transactions if something happened to them. I've tried using the Export feature to create backups but it's cumbersome since it requires Internet Explorer. How is this not a feature already? With the desktop version we'd backup every few times we closed the company files. If you don't want to store the multiple backups, how about giving us a single click option to download a backup, plus a feature to restore to a backup from file? Or even better a way to simply roll back to a previous date.
QBO needs to implement a downloadable backup. The backups that Intuit makes and keeps are just for the sake of maintaining the current data. But there's no historical backup you can reference if you want to roll your file back to a previous version, e.g. after you made many significant changes and need to undo them. This is a major issue and might force us to leave the QBO product.

2,620 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

165 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Calvin hoo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I couldn't agree more on this feature which should be a must have from the beginning. How could we have no options of backups when we are dealing with sensitive information like accounts.

• info@baviaarts.com none commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need data from my old online account from 2014. on login it says there's no account under the name. And wants to restore the online not just by deleting the whole company

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can't you export your online data to your desktop anytime you want? Doesn't the audit trail also help in reversing changes?

• Publio Velasco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could not agree more. The major flaw is that users assume that the data is backed up when in fact it is not. Very unreliable system. Urgent fix.

You need a way to roll back data to previous historical back-ups.

I understand you have live data back-ups mirrored across servers. But this is useless if a large error (technical or user) is mirrored with no way of rolling back.

I am told by your telephone helpline that historical back-up data is not kept and is therefore irretrievably lost. I find this very hard to believe and if so is very very poor data management should you have a critical technical data integrity issue duplicated and mirrored.

There should be a way at the very least for users to be able to locally download their data for this kind of event.

• Craig Jackson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is urgently required, every day we see issues with online systems having issues, power loss, being breached etc..

Being able to set or have automatic restore points is essential, particularly where new people are learning, people are being perfect and from time to time there will be mistakes that are best managed by going back to an earlier point.

The ability to make a local copy is essential, preferably one that will allow an automated download from a server.

• Dan Ebert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i guess i will join the club on this issue. The inability to backup/restore QBO data is ridiculous. I am an I professional and If I installed a business System with no backup/restore capability I would have been fired

• metcalf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OMG - this is terrifying - no backup? Seriously it is enough to make me consider switching.

This is frightening to read. After seeing all the mayhem with the ransom virus hitting the world last week, please give us the ability to back up our data so we can be safeguarded from malware and from employer/employee errors and deletions.

• N commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe this either. I also had a service person tell me to delete some transactions to correct a problem with the import of our data and of course that was incorrect information (the correct solution involved unchecking a box) and of course there was not way to get back those deleted records and one service person told me they would be able to restore from backup and then the next person told me they couldn't. We would NOT have moved to online version had it been more prevalent upfront that there was not way to restore from a backup, let alone make our own backup at any time. This is the absolute worst service I have ever experienced from a MAJOR software company. I would not recommend any nonprofit organization to move to the online version nor would I recommend any business to move if they don't have to. I just spent 6 hours today trying to correct the problems to get my books back in order. This has been "Under Review" since July 2, 2015??? Seriously? Will now seriously consider moving to another accounting software.

• Morgan Inman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe there are no restore points in QBO! This is unacceptable! We lost our bookkeeper and I can't make head or tails of what she did. I'm afraid to touch anything without being able to backup. Please add this feature ASAP!

• James Lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really?????? no backup capability? astonishing in 2017.. what could possilbly be the reason for this lack?

• ChrisWayg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A backup and restore feature is absolutely essential. Why would it be so difficult to have automatic online backups of for example 1 day, 7 day, 30 days and 90 days with the ability to roll back to an earlier version of the data? Additionally a local backup should be possible with the ability to re-import the data. This has been requested for 2 years and it is still "UNDER REVIEW". Really?

I understand, that there could be a potential issue of changing database formats, but I have observed two different QBO versions being used side-by-side by Intuit as new features are introduced. Thus it should be possible to use a 3 month old backup, even if the online QBO version has been upgraded, as the previous version could still be made available to users of the backup.

Current methods of exporting QBO via Internet Explorer and importing to Quickbooks desktop are not sufficient and not fully compatible, as for example multi-currency does not carry over.

Has anyone found a way of backing up their data independently?
        We use QBO for 5 companies and had a major glitch when auto-uploading bank transactions which resulted in the loss of an enormous amount of data. QBO were not interested in assisting and this meant many lost and frustrated hours trying to piece together historical transactions and roll forward again to the present day.
        QBO you really MUST sort this out. It is apalling that a backup facility is not offered as standard, and again, we are looking at moving away unless a solution is found.

I just made a huge ooops when importing a client's company into QBO which imported over my own company's QBO! Called QuickBooks; there is now way to restore.
        Their suggestion on how to back up your QuickBooks Online is to purchase the desktop version as well and export your QBO to the desktop version to have a "hard" copy. So....we are supposed to by both products to back up the one we use?!? Ridiculous!

QuickBooks Online Feature Requests: Import/Export

Feedback and Knowledge Base