I suggest you ...

QBO Needs a Downloadable Backup and Restore!

We just found out that Intuit does not keep backups of our accounting data online so that we could not restore our company to a previous point like we used to be able to do in the desktop version. We find this unacceptable and at this time we would not recommend QBO to anybody based on this major flaw.
These are only a few reasons why restoring to a previous point may be necessary:
1) Angry employee changes/deletes transactions maliciously before quitting
2) New bookkeeper decides to rename all the accounts to a system they like but that confuses the rest of the company and transactions are placed in wrong places
3) Employee decides to go through all transactions of a certain type and change them, then realizing it was a mistake after having spent days working on it

I've seen all of these myself over the years. How many other scenarios there are where you wish you had a backup to restore to?

We've been using QBO for a couple years and I have to say I always assumed there would be backups of my data like all good cloud services provide. I've spoken to several support reps about backing up my data and they tell me that Intuit is not responsible for my data and I would have to recreate all transactions if something happened to them. I've tried using the Export feature to create backups but it's cumbersome since it requires Internet Explorer. How is this not a feature already? With the desktop version we'd backup every few times we closed the company files. If you don't want to store the multiple backups, how about giving us a single click option to download a backup, plus a feature to restore to a backup from file? Or even better a way to simply roll back to a previous date.
QBO needs to implement a downloadable backup. The backups that Intuit makes and keeps are just for the sake of maintaining the current data. But there's no historical backup you can reference if you want to roll your file back to a previous version, e.g. after you made many significant changes and need to undo them. This is a major issue and might force us to leave the QBO product.

2,620 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

165 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Melissa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How is this not done automatically by QB, considering the legal requirements that all clients face? The Internet, the cloud, the world wide web -- none of it is guaranteed forever or even to be at 100% all of the time. It is appalling that this does not exist. I seriously need to research other options to QuickBooks now. This is very bad.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely Agree!! We absolutely need a one touch backup of all records INCLUDING ATTACHMENTS. An added bonus would be direct integration with DropBox!

• Monique Angelo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree ... I had to spend an extra day restoring data that I would not have had to do, had there been a way to restore to a previous day.

• Hugues commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Basically in Canada CRA have requirement that you must comply with. You are responsible to choose a software that respect those requirement.

You can see them here: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/publications/15-2-computerized-records-revised-june-2005/computerized-records-revised-june-2005.html

"Persons who keep records in an electronic format are required to retain them in an electronically readable format for a period of six years from the end of the latest year to which they relate. This means that a person must retain the electronic records even when hard copy is available."

So basically with QBO if you close your business you must keep paying your subscription for 6 yrs to keep the data available. Exporting to Excel if you loose the justification document (receipt that you attach in QBO) will not be enough for the CRA: "Persons using electronic records must retain all business records in an electronically readable format and the data must be capable of relating back to the supporting source documents. "

You must also be able to provide them with a copy of your data:

"Accessible copy means that the person must provide a copy of the electronic records in an electronically readable and useable format to the CRA auditors to permit them to process the electronic records on CRA equipment."

More information on the link above.

As a QBPA I too think this is a serious issue that needs to be resolved immediately. I pound into the heads of all my clients the importance of keeping frequent backups. Now I find myself in the position of having recommended they convert to QBO, but by the way it cannot be backed up. This, among other issues, is undermining my credibility as a QuickBooks ProAdvisor and accounting service provider in general.

• April Doty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's appalling that this is not available.

I am closing my UK company and my Quickbooks account and I can't believe there's no way for me to download an archive that includes all the receipts I painstakingly entered into the system over years. This should be a ONE CLICK SOLUTION.

I wasn't leaving you for another accounting system, I was leaving because I can't afford to keep an account for a company that doesn't exist anymore. I need the records just in case I am audited but I shouldn't be expected to maintain a monthly subscription just for this.

I now see Quickbooks as a trap and I will advise everyone I know to look at other solutions. This is a bad business strategy that is going to backfire on you.

• Tess Q commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

perhaps they are not providing back up or restore options to keep QBO clients at their mercy here? My thought is...maybe I should do all my initial books on QB desktop version and export to QBO daily for the clients; thereby making a back up of my own available -- since the desktop and online versions DO import to and from one another.

• Steve Taylor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

STILL "under review"??? Would someone at Intuit please RESPOND to these posts?? Let us know what is happening...DO NOT ignore us!! "Us'...the people WHO PAY OUR MONTHLY FEES (you know those monthly subscriptions that if we all stopped paying would mean Intuit employees in the QBO section would also STOP BEING PAID and would be out of a job!). I know we may "be a bother" to some people at Intuit, but again, without this "bother" you have NO CUSTOMERS and therefore no income and, well...that means QBO shuts down and the Intuit people who IGNORE these posts are out of work. No accounting software should come without a backup and restore process, so this is not a "want" item, this is a BARE MINIMUM MUST HAVE ITEM!

I can see one thing happening here; you finally get the backup and restore item implemented and I bet ALL OF US who have posted here will grab our files immediately and be gone to another program! Even if it is back to QB Desktop, The second I can somehow get my data, ALL of my companies and clients will be ending QBO! Get it together would you!! This is horrible service; you should feel embarrassed to take our money!

• Legal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a class action suit in the making. Please see Cara vs Intuit

• custommarblegranite commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just started researching this subject today and am horrified. I need to make a change to our state taxes and it appears that it's going to affect the entire database. Before making the change I wanted to make a copy of the DB (or have QB do it) so I could rollback if necessary. Now I find out it's not possible! What are these guys thinking? I feel confident that my DB is being properly backed up online, but I never in a million years would have thought that it would be impossible to rollback. I have worked in IT for 40+ years and am feeling a little foolish right now for ASSUMING that backup and rollback capabilities would be included in our subscription.

This needs to be an absolute must! I've had a client have issues and luckily I was able to fix it myself. When they call tech support it was going to cost them $150 for someone to go in the back office to fix it. Thank God I'm a little techy.
        QB needs to make this a high priority.

• IT Admin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Basic backup\restore functionality should be included with the cost of any accounting, database, etc. system. There are 3rd party products that can do it, but most can be at an additional cost. However, some are free depending on the size of your backup... https://skyvia.com/ provides 1GB of free online backup space.

• Noel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Brad got us! No restore date or period,,, Not good and not safe to be used,
        Spread the WORD. (unless you like your books to disappear)
        I will go back to the desktop. I can't believe they have not implemented a fix.
        I did not see or notice anything about this going in but It can be hard to research something you don't know or ASS U ME.
        Thanks to all of you who posted and hope Mr. CEO makes the fix (unless?)!!

• Michael Cooper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an absolute necessity. As a long-time QuickBooks user, I'm feeling a bit silly for moving to QBO first without checking that I can download my data. Intuit seems to be dragging their feet on this one, and I'm worried this might be because not having an export feature allows Intuit to control the user's data and, therefore, keep them on the leash for subscriptions. If Intuit values their customers, and not just their subscriptions, this feature should be a much higher priority.

• Mav commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, We should be able to download a copy of our datafile at any time and keep backups. In our field we are legally required to keep this information. Especially with the upcoming GDPR roll out.

Should be simple - download datafile button - and we can include this in our backup.

• JK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have heard the American version of QBO has this, but not the Canadian version?

• Paul Trebilco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can't believe that a piece of business software still offers few options for backup. Feel like I've made a huge mistake moving to this application.

• Alina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You should look into ChronoBooks. I've never used it myself, but heard they are new and provide a QBO backup service.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

QuickBooks Online Feature Requests: Import/Export

Feedback and Knowledge Base