I suggest you ...

Vacation / Sick / PTO options and reporting need to be more robust

I need to have a PTO category in addition to vacation and sick pay. In addition I need to be able to customize these time off categories to include an "accrual date" that I can customize rather than only allowing beginning of year or anniversary date. I also need to be able to set a carryover maximum to limit hours carried over based on said accrual date I pick.

236 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    cmazzei shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

54 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sick pay accrual in CA can carry over to the next year, but your software closes out sick and vacation accruals on either a yearly or anniversary date

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would like to be able to make a new Payroll type option with Accruing earnings, such as Vacation or Sick pay, because we would like combine these into 1 called 'Paid Time Off'. Other option would be to be able to Edit the pay type Title for Vacation so that it is called Paid Time Off with the accruing option. Also, our Accrual year for time off starts April 1st, (not January) and would be nice to be able to designate this start date. Our previous version of QB Desktop had this option to enter the start date for accruing these benefits.

Our company's vacation and sick time accruals begin April 1st Annually. QB Online only offers to accrue at beginning of year (calendar). Previously used QB Desktop and could assign our 'Year Start Date' in that version. This is a step backward, because now I have to set up reminders to manually edit these benefits at the correct time.

• Emily Molcjan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For a single employee, we use two vacation banks -- one for time in lieu, and one for regular vacation, but currently only one is able to appear on the pay stub.

This goes along with the thought that one should be able to rename 'sick days' and 'vacation' showing up on the paystub.

• Emily Molcjan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My company uses 'Flex Time' for our "sick days", but it encompasses more than just being sick, and we've always called it "Flex Time". I just want to be able to change the name on the stub to match the internal title that we call it.

• Claire Hansel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have 100 clients whose PTO/Sick hours were reset at the beginning of the year because it was selected to accumulate at the start of the year. These doctors cash out unused hours, and I have no record of what those are now.

I would be able to run a Payroll Details report and subtract out to get the balance to use, but many clients transitioned in the middle of the year which means I would have to use two reports, one from the old payroll system if that was even still available.

This is frustrating for me because I have to go to these clients and admit that your system isn't smart enough to roll over hours and whatnot. We are in the middle of transitioning 100 more clients to your system, and this is going to be an extremely time consuming task for me if I have to do this at the end of the year.

I understand that using the "accumulate at the start of the year" function is necessary or else we'd have to manually enter hours for each employee. Maybe you guys can add a report which shows employee's balances at year end.

Again to make my point clear, many of the employees rolled over hours from 2015 from a different payroll system. I can't simply subtract out the hours used in 2016 to the hours they get awarded each year. For example, an employee rolled over 15 hours, gets awarded 80, used 27, and gets to carry forward 40. I have absolutely no records of this now and no way to calculate this without going to each dentist and asking them for their prior year's records. This makes our firm and your software look stupid.

Please respond back if there is anything that can be done to obtain their balances at years end. I really appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks!

Add an additonal item to track PTO - right now only one vacation item is avail but I need to track holiday pay for the year seperatley

For those companies that offer Paid Time Off in lieu of vacation or sick leave, you should offer this as a pay type. My company gives vacation time
        To our employees which is greater than the CA State law requirement for sick leave. The law says that if a company offers Paid Time
        Off that is greater than the sick leave requirement, then they do not have to offer sick leave. We do not have the option of converting our employee's vacation time to PTO, which would comply with the law. Please add PTO as a pay type. It would simplify things for many small businesses.

I would like to see this added as well. I was unable to find anywhere to change the name

With all the new sick leave policies, and with the accrual of sick leave. I wish there was a way to the payroll program would only allow the set number of sick leave hours to be taken per employee. Employees can accrue more sick leave than they can take per the employer limits of the min 24 hours.
        I constantly have to run the sick leave report to see if they have hit their employer maximum. I wish there was a way for the program to automatically limit the sick leave use to the employer limit, while still accrueing for federal purposes

• Wendy Gorman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is currently a max annual vacation/sick however it allows for additional hours to be accrued after hours have been used when selecting the accrual by hours worked.
        The state of Oregon has a sick time law now and for employers who have part time employees, accruing by hours worked is the most logical policy to implement and your system creates more work for these employers who will now have to track vacation/sick on a spreadsheet.

create a "Personal Time" as a type of pay, to use instead of vac or sick, for salary employees we would like to combine time off all as "Personal time" not as vacation or sick

Vacation Pay:
        The desktop allowed me to set the vacation pay as I prefer to pay my employees on each pay period for vacation pay. With the desktop I just entered the employees hours and it filled in all the needed information. With the online version I have to manually figure out this amount for each employee and enter it. Please create this option, saves mistakes.

Please add this feature.

An employee should have the capability to request PTO through the system so PTO can be approved or rejected by their supervisor.

• Stacie Anderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When entering a new employee into the payroll system, it would be nice if you could put in a date that benefits are to begin. That way I do not need to manually go back three months after the first day of employment to start the accrual for PTO.

The lack of this option has become a deal breaker for my client and is affecting my business

• R Gail Ward commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need the vacation/sick report to show accrued hours as of the anniversary of their individual hire dates instead of YTD.

← Previous 1 3

QuickBooks Online Feature Requests: Payroll

Feedback and Knowledge Base