I suggest you ...

Amex Open App

I would like for my American Express Open card to work like my bank account. I don't want to go to the Open App to send transactions. I can't add vendors or accounts from that App. It is annoying to use the Open App. The transactions should download at the same time as I update all of my sync'd accounts.

17 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  AdminQBO Team (Admin, QuickBooks Online) responded  · 

The new Connect with QuickBooks app from American Express replaces Sync with QuickBooks. Transactions are reviewed on the Banking page in the same way as other bank feeds.

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Brian Chessler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need some help as AMEX did not sync correctly but your 800-448-7330 number does not answer ever!!1

• Steve Buscher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, the sync totally sucks and is worthless just like QB for the last 2 years. I have complained many times but no response. I am just manually entering transactions now. Thanks for another crappy feature QB

• Michael Provenzano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 This is absolutely horrible. I'd rather be back on QuickBooks 2009 for Windows where downloading transactions actually worked and you could categorize transactions quickly. This wastes so much more time now, the AMEX UI for categorizing is pathetic.

AMEX + QB = FAIL

• Steve Bokmiller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Melissa, after much time on the phone with both QBO & Amex support I discovered that this was a joint effort between Intuit & Amex and is not likely to change. In fact, it is a prototype for how QBO will try to sync with most banks and cards in the future.

Intuit cannot legally tell the card companies how we use the data. The card companies have a good amount of data on us already, but in this competitive environment, more is better. So the only way for Intuit to let them have it (at a cost of course) is to let the card companies sync to QBO (Clients, Vendors, Accounts, etc) and require users to push the data to Intuit from the card company platform. The end result is that we now pay Intuit for the privilege of managing our accounting data in multiple places, instead of just one.

Overall, I found the Amex Sync for QuickBooks tool usable but they left out one key feature. We use (and pay for) Time & Billing in QBO as we charge our expenses to our clients using marked up list items. Since we use an Amex OPEN card almost exclusively for these purchases, we now have to edit each transaction in QBO because the Amex Sync for QuickBooks tool currently doesnt support the application of list items to charges for Time & Billing purposes.

Of course, QBO support is Amex for this, but they knew about it and didn't bother to tell us that change was coming. Another reason to consider Zoho or Xero I suppose.

Agreed! I said it on another similar post, this is really a pain in the butt if you are paying Intuit for the Time & Billing module in QBO because the Amex portal does not allow for using list items for expenses. For each transaction (and there are many as we almost exclusively buy using our Amex cards) I now have to go back to QBO to correct the transaction.

BTW, QBO support blames Amex for this and says they had nothing to do with it. I wasn't buying it and called Amex Online Support. They were much more straightforward and admitted it was a joint effort. Intuit is a shining example of what you get when you let the marketing department design accounting software.

This is especially problematic if you use Time & Billing to expense purchases to a client using list items. There is no option for this in Amex Sync for QuickBooks. So now after coding such charges to a suspense account in Amex, I now have to go back and edit them in QBO!

The talking support heads blame Amex for this. However, after speaking to an informed Amex Online Support tech, I learned that this change was a joint effort between Intuit and Amex and is likely the precursor of what we can expect with other bank cards.

In the end, Intuit did a crappy job of informing their clients (let alone their own support staff) of the change in advance and the implications to time & billing users.

QuickBooks Online Feature Requests: Banking

Feedback and Knowledge Base