I suggest you ...

Introduce Progress Invoicing

Be able to bill out fractions or amounts of a Job or Project to an Invoice.

While we are looking at this feature, workarounds currently include:

1. You can use the Balance Forward Statement to show the original invoice, any payments made, and the remaining balance. The steps are given in knowledgebase article:

https://community.intuit.com/articles/1145736-all-about-statements

2. You can create a separate invoice for each stage of the job. These invoices can be created in advance to equal the total amount of the job by using a recurring template.

For instructions on recurring templates, see knowledgebase article: https://community.intuit.com/articles/1442437-create-a-recurring-template

Thank you

5,446 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  AdminQBO Team (Admin, QuickBooks Online) responded  · 

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback that you’d like to see progress invoicing in QuickBooks Online. We’ve assigned a team to develop this feature and they are picking up work now so stay tuned for updates. Your feedback helps us prioritize what to do next. Thanks for your patience and please keep the feedback coming!

634 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • mail commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Anyone providing services and billing according to the payment schedule given in the estimate needs this. It is essential. Please implement. Until it isn't done I have to stick with the desktop version.

• jeff scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to be able to create a final invoice from an estimate and have the option to deduct the deposit amount already received. The final invoice should reflect the total estimate minus the deposit received and the final balance due.

• Sam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

make this happen! Too many clients need this in order to make the switch.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ADD PROGRESSIVE BILLING TO QBO. Contractors need this option. A job may have more than 1 phase, and may take multiple trips and days to complete. This is one of the biggest flaws with QBO right now.

• Michael Provenzano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh sweet, the links in the suggestion for workarounds don't even work. Maybe I should go pull out my QB 2009 windows desktop so I can run my business...

• MB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature has been requested several times in the last several years. The day this feature affects QBO commercially, we can be sure that this feature will be implemented without delay.

I agree totally, we are a Landscape company and we desperately need to be able to have progressive billing.

• Rob W. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I run a service business and our invoices cover several months of service. I break the invoice total into equal monthly payments due at the beginning of each month. Would this feature allow me to more easily track that? If so, it has my vote. Right now I can accomplish the invoicing, but the problem is that mid-invoicing-period, the "balance owing" always shows the total balance owing for the entire invoice, not the balance owing at that point in time. For example, let's say the invoice covers January-May and the total invoice is for $500, and each monthly payment is $100. I'd like to be able to look on March 10th and see zero-balances for customers who are up-to-date with their monthly payments, and, say, a $100 balance for customers who made their Jan and Feb payment, but not March payment. But as it stands now, customers who are up-to-date with their payments would show a $200 balance owing on March 10th. This makes it difficult to quickly view who is and isn't up-to-date with payments. Hopefully a progress invoicing feature would solve this? If not, what would solve it?

• Ralph Howarth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add Estimates as well to the e-Invoices facility so that customers can also collaborate with and messages, photos, plans, specifications, et.al., of work proposed or work in progress pertaining to that estimate.

• DanW commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please add progressive billing to QBO. This is important for many types of businesses, photography in my case.

While in Sales Transactions, need to add data grid editor functionality of the Status of Estimates to be able to quickly update the status. Also need the Status expanded to include "Postponed", "Scheduled," and "In-Progress" with a Scheduled Date, Start Date and Completed Date like QB Pro. The act of assigned a scheduled date should then update the Status as such.

QuickBooks Online Feature Requests: Form Delivery

Feedback and Knowledge Base