I suggest you ...

Introduce Progress Invoicing

Be able to bill out fractions or amounts of a Job or Project to an Invoice.

While we are looking at this feature, workarounds currently include:

1. You can use the Balance Forward Statement to show the original invoice, any payments made, and the remaining balance. The steps are given in knowledgebase article:

https://community.intuit.com/articles/1145736-all-about-statements

2. You can create a separate invoice for each stage of the job. These invoices can be created in advance to equal the total amount of the job by using a recurring template.

For instructions on recurring templates, see knowledgebase article: https://community.intuit.com/articles/1442437-create-a-recurring-template

Thank you

5,167 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    JenJen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  QBO TeamAdminQBO Team (Admin, QuickBooks Online) responded  · 

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback that you’d like to see progress invoicing in QuickBooks Online. We’ve assigned a team to develop this feature and they are picking up work now so stay tuned for updates. Your feedback helps us prioritize what to do next. Thanks for your patience and please keep the feedback coming!

613 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You are right... progressive invoicing is critical to many businesses. It is a feature on the desk top version and really should be included in the QBO version. OUr business is based on progressive invoicing and this is a major downside for QBO - not having it!

• Ted Ted commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@ Alizah This thread has been up for about 2 years and they haven't done squat about the progress invoicing even though that feature is on the software version...They really don't read these threads or don't care.

• Alizah EpsteinAlizah Epstein commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES! please add progress invoicing to the online version. It would make things so much easier. When will you be adding this?!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I fully agree. It is a so easy to do progress invoices on the desktop version. Could it be added to the online version?

• SharonSharon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

you are right.. QBO is great product but i do not understand why they have not inorpratied progressive invoicing to their online product. we create charges for each step of our project and then bill clients as the project steps are completed. but its combersome and time consuming.

• Mike SMike S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As I look back on these comments I see they go back to 2012 (almost 2 years ago). I dont understand why Intuit refuses to make any headway on allowing their customers to make progress billing which is so crucial to any service based contractor. QUICKBOOKS/INTUIT are you even listening!

• Fred LebhartFred Lebhart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This suggestion and the other suggestion of integrating client progress payments should have their votes combined since these two suggestions are basically the same idea. Almost all customers of QBO are small businesses and a good portion of small businesses are contractors in one industry or another. I find it hard to believe this feature hasn't been a priority. As a small business owner, i've contemplated leaving QBO because incremental payments on a project is such an important aspect of my billing. Alas, I have yet to leave QBO; but I just hope they integrate this feature soon!

Yes! Yes! Yes! So many companies offer payment terms (rather than all upfront or divided into a deposit & balance). QBO makes checking to see if payments for clients are due a tedious, manual process and AR aging completely wrong.

• SusanSusan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please!

And I also need to invoice monthly for annual maintenance contracts and have it all applied to the same job.

• Amanda SageAmanda Sage commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I used progressive invoices all the time on the desktop version and am very disappointed that they don't exist on QBO. REALLY need this feature added.

The alternatives I use are: do not use progress invoices OR revise the single invoice, which can be risky if your customer closes their transactions after the first invoice.

Please add progress billing. Most of our jobs start with a deposit, Some end with a retainaige. We also need to be able to track deposits to vendors without the bill showing as past due until paid.

Feedback and Knowledge Base