I suggest you ...

Introduce Progress Invoicing

Be able to bill out fractions or amounts of a Job or Project to an Invoice.

While we are looking at this feature, workarounds currently include:

1. You can use the Balance Forward Statement to show the original invoice, any payments made, and the remaining balance. The steps are given in knowledgebase article:

https://community.intuit.com/articles/1145736-all-about-statements

2. You can create a separate invoice for each stage of the job. These invoices can be created in advance to equal the total amount of the job by using a recurring template.

For instructions on recurring templates, see knowledgebase article: https://community.intuit.com/articles/1442437-create-a-recurring-template

Thank you

5,426 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  AdminQBO Team (Admin, QuickBooks Online) responded  · 

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback that you’d like to see progress invoicing in QuickBooks Online. We’ve assigned a team to develop this feature and they are picking up work now so stay tuned for updates. Your feedback helps us prioritize what to do next. Thanks for your patience and please keep the feedback coming!

634 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Darin Ruddock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am having this same issue. As a Building Contractor I receive a deposit for a project before I start. When I create the invoice, upon completion of the project. The invoice automatically "receives payment" of the final amount and adds it to the original deposit and shows a balance of "zero". When in fact the balance is not zero. I can't send an invoice that says "paid" with a zero balance when I need the customer to see there is a balance due. This is confusing to everyone, including the customer.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to create 1 invoice and choose how much is due on the first billing and the subsequent billings.

• tinahollowell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to request again a few new features: 1) ability to do installment or progressive billing. 2)ability to process credit cards automatically (for auto-payments) against an invoice. Currently only available through Sales Receipt feature.

• john mull commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For a small service business, progressive invoicing is a must. Lacking it is a big hole in Quickbooks.

I would really like to see progressive invoicing. If you had this our company would be able to switch to Quickbooks Online. We invoice customers on a percent complete of each job and need to show on the invoice the percentage already invoiced, current invoice. Please let me know if this is something you think you will be offering in the near future

Please provide a progressive billing option. I take deposits from all my clients for the partial amount and bill on stages and this feature would help immensely. Thanks so much!

• Paige Culver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem with option 1: If I do this and invoice my customer, they will see the TOTAL balance due of their pledge. I want to be able to invoice just for the installment due for their pledge. Seeing a big scary balance on an invoice when the total amount is not due is unnecessary and and unnerving to our members.

The problem with option 2: If I do it this way but then want to run a customer balance detail report for my member they don't see their total initial pledge... the system shows several small pledges which is confusing.

• Paige Culver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature MUST be added and as soon as possible. ESPECIALLY for a non-profit like ours. I have the non-profit platform but a pledge is treated exactly the same as a billable product or service. Our members make large "pledges" and they are invoiced over a period of time until their pledge is fulfilled. I can't use the system the way I need to and I paid for a YEAR. I need to be able to enter a pledge and invoice in yearly "installments" made toward the balance of their pledge. It is silly that this isn't already an option as we live in a world where customer service is top priority and even a traditional business needs to be able to set up a "payment plan" through their QB platform. Please do this ASAP!!!!

• Spencer Arnett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add Quickbooks Online Contractor's Edition and add a Memorized Report that shows per Job- the Estimate of a Job, the Progress Invoice Billings, the Retention amounts accrued from each Progress Invoice, and the Total. Tutorial on Job Costing- how to input data correctly into Quickbooks to Job Cost most effectively.

this is a vary important for us as contractors we have to submit at least 3 invoices pre project.
        Thx

2. I would like to create multiple Invoices from an Estimate I created outside of QuickBooks Online- e.g., Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.
        The answer to the question by email. Option 2.

QuickBooks Online Feature Requests: Form Delivery

Feedback and Knowledge Base