I suggest you ...

Introduce Progress Invoicing

Be able to bill out fractions or amounts of a Job or Project to an Invoice.

While we are looking at this feature, workarounds currently include:

1. You can use the Balance Forward Statement to show the original invoice, any payments made, and the remaining balance. The steps are given in knowledgebase article:

https://community.intuit.com/articles/1145736-all-about-statements

2. You can create a separate invoice for each stage of the job. These invoices can be created in advance to equal the total amount of the job by using a recurring template.

For instructions on recurring templates, see knowledgebase article: https://community.intuit.com/articles/1442437-create-a-recurring-template

Thank you

5,426 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  AdminQBO Team (Admin, QuickBooks Online) responded  · 

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback that you’d like to see progress invoicing in QuickBooks Online. We’ve assigned a team to develop this feature and they are picking up work now so stay tuned for updates. Your feedback helps us prioritize what to do next. Thanks for your patience and please keep the feedback coming!

634 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Susie R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is great news. It would be awesome to be able to put in the total contract amount without having to enter dates (as is the case with the Balance Forward workaround). Many businesses in our industry use contracts that while they have a start date, have a flexible or estimated end date.
        As many people here have requested - it would be hugely helpful to have the ability to invoice payments and record (on the invoice and in the system), the percentage that the payment represents of the contract total and see balance left on the contract.
        This would be great for the clients as well as our own financials.
        Thank you!

• Ben Allan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Surely it is just a case of adding a tick box next to each line of the estimate, the same as QB Destop. Then you can create an Invoice from the Estimate and just highlight each line of the Estimate that is required in the progress Invoice. These lines will then be closed in the Estimate so that they can't be Invoiced twice. QB Desktop also has the ability to do a percentage invoice from an Estimate

• Randy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that this is needed. There must be a work order step in between Estimate and Invoice so we can apply deposits before the final invoice. This must happen. Please.

• Jim Corbett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same boat. Was just researching QBO to determine if progress billing was an option and apparently it is not. The need is there and I have 2 multi billion dollar companies requesting breakdowns of work and expenses incurred to date.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please do add this. Even freshbooks has it making it difficult for me as an accountant to have so many of my clients switch!

• Gaby T. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

most important feature! I am looking at other options than QuickBooks online right now because we need this feature.

We need this feature as quickly as possible. It is vital to any business that creates estimates and the bills in increments of work completed.

• TEGAN JANSEN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Progress Invoicing is vital for all Small Construction Businesses!! Intuit QuickBooks Online is seriously behind the game without this feature. Need this implemented as soon as possible. A further important feature in the QBO Invoicing is a Markup Column based on a % or an $ for each Product & Service line in the Invoice.

Progressive Invoicing.. My whole company is based on this.. 50 40 10.. No way to do this as of now..

Client needs progress billing as he uses progress billing on his desktop version and can't switch to online without it.

• David Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Neither of these "workarounds" actually accomplish this functionality. As a contractor, basically every project is a version of a progress billing. QBO is marketed to small businesses, like maybe small or service contractors..... IDK? This "Planned" feature needs to be implemented immediately! The lack of this feature keeps us from using QuickBooks to do our invoicing. This is a serious shortcoming and creates a lot more work.

• Charlene Tan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have all my interior company clients and project based clients who can't change from Desktop to Quickbooks Online as progressive billing is not in.

Yes! For all of the reasons people have outlined below the workarounds don't really work ... 100%! Progress invoicing is a staple in a lot of my clients' work. I can do it on Desktop just fine, so convincing them to move to QBO creates several parity concerns.

Between lack of job costing & progress billing, I'm stuck with desktop. It's costing our business thousands. We even tried to use Quickbase to deal with this issue, but can't use that with QB desktop. This service is years overdue.

Many Professional Service providers such as engineering, architect and law firms need to be able to invoice progressively. The suggested work arounds leave too much room for errors in billing. Please vote yes to have progressive invoicing added to QB online as it is available on the desktop versions.

Please add early payment vendor discounts to QBO. To have to manually calculate them and then create a vendor credit is not efficient for such a basic accounts payable function.

• M Coila commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES! We want progress billing!
        We use estimates for large, multi-component, projects. Having to re-create all of the information for each stage of the project installation, and sale, has led us to a pen & paper work-around. This seems to be going EXACTLY backwards from the solution that Quickbooks professes to provide.

• Marisol commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLease ad this option. I also use quickbook payment and since no partial payment is allowedthe progress invoicing makes it a lot easier for all.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 31 32

QuickBooks Online Feature Requests: Form Delivery

Feedback and Knowledge Base