I suggest you ...

Automatic Late Fee's and/or Finance Charges

EVERYONE wants / needs this. Why is this not done yet... Also make it so we don't need to interact with it. Its so much easier just being able to tell a customer "Well, the computer did it." It would also help remove favoritism. I have a tendency to overlook some accounts for the people that I like.

2,157 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

277 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • SMD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd be willing to bet that if QBO could charge us a fee for this functionality, it would have been done 6 years ago when requested. How about we charge QBO an "Inconvenience Fee" for every day, month, year and transaction that this basic functionality doesn't get implemented for...? How does that sound to QBO...?

• Sharon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For the original poster of this suggestion... "It would also help remove favoritism. I have a tendency to overlook some accounts for the people that I like."

This is not a lack of QBO features... this is a lack of professionalism on the part of the
        business owner/operator. If you offer a 1 time or multiple time forgiveness of late fees, fine... but make that a rule for ALL your customers... not just the ones you "like" . Thats a user shortcoming, not a program one.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please Help -------------

Have the option of percentage or fixed amount.
        Make sure it generates or shows on recurring invoices.
        Our policy is payment must be post marked by due date, so if payment is in the mail and system creates a late fee, it would be great if when payment is received have an option ( check box ?) to reverse/remove late fee.

"Our team is reviewing the requirements necessary for implementing the ability to automatically charge late fees for overdue invoices. Stay tuned!"

The requirements necessary? How about this ... fire every single fucking person that you have working in your design and programming department and hire all new people that know how to do these VERY BASIC ACCOUNTING THINGS.

THIS is a basic feature that is built into almost every other software program I have used. The ability to add finance charges to invoices? Are you serious!?

What is the matter with QB online? I just switched and am about to go back to desktop or look for another vendor. Assessing finance charges is a BASIC feature. QB online is simply AWFUL.

• Rozetta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

LOVE THE FOLLOWING! Just what I was thinking!

Ted Kennedy commented · January 25, 2018 3:28 PM ·

I made this post earlier, but just to make sure, here's how to do it:

1. Have a default finance charge rate which is applied to all new customers, and a default account to which finance charges are credited.

2. Allow the rate to be changed for each customer, or to turn off finance charges for the customer.

3. When sending statements, have a last-minute override to not charge finance charges, in case there is some unusual circumstance.

4. Compute the finance charge and add it to the statement, but do not make an entry for it in QBO. (It really should NOT be part of the invoice - that makes the invoice inaccurate).

5. When applying payments to invoices, have a Finance Charge field on the data entry screen. If the customer paid a finance charge, the amount goes in that field and is credited to the account defined in step #1. If the customer doesn't pay the finance charge, you just let it go. You're glad to get the payment and you might make a note to require prepayment from the customer in the future.

This is a very simple and elegant way to handle finance charges.

It is not accurate to add the finance charge to the invoice. It doesn't belong there - it is the result of the customer not paying the invoice on time, not something that was originally charged to them.

QBO should have had this feature right from the beginning! It is a normal, fundamental part of an accounting system, and one that is VERY easy to implement when done as outlined above.

• Travis McVicker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes it would be alot easier for me and my employees if it was done automaticaly. I would love to see this done SOON. I Spend alot of time each week doing the late penalty fees.

I really don't want to look at other systems, I like QB, but it sure would be great to auto some customers with LATE FEE! Thanks.

YES YES YES YES... Allow the ability to have a predetermined amount that is automatically added to the invoice after the due date!!!!!

(Let the company administrator determine the amount as well such as a $3, $5, or an $8 late fee etc or even a percentage late fee.)

This has been going on for way to long!! Get it done and let us know when it will be ready!! No more we are reviewing it. I can't believe how long this problem dates back to until I read these posts!!

Yes, we definitely need this. Add a % setting that will calculate and add amount owed on late fees to bills that our 30 days past due

• vicki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, I agree with other comments. We have been hearing that your team is reviewing this issue for years. It should be standard in the software just like every other software. This is a huge issue and hopefully it gets resolved.

With all due respect, Intuit has been "reviewing" this requirement for several years .... you are losing customers (including my company) because of the continued failure to offer this auto interest feature which has been available on the desk top version for decades.

• Tim Kennedy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have paid for QBO for seven years and missed this feature the entire time. Please need Ted Kennedy's excellent direction posted 1/25 so the feature, should it appear at long last, will be useful.

I am looking forward to this feature being added. It will help with the professionalism of our businesses.

• Rob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Honestly I thought the person monitoring this forum had passed on. It's been years....... and NOW it's being reviewed?

How about getting it done?
        WTH are we paying you people for?

I'd love to be a fly on the wall at Intuit.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14

QuickBooks Online Feature Requests: Global

Feedback and Knowledge Base