I suggest you ...

To make payroll in general more like the desk top version.

To be able to customize payroll more and make changes and/or corrections more easily. More like the desktop version.

856 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

52 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Merrill Carmichael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How do I set up WCB deductions for client staff (CDN)? This QBO payroll is the WORST!!! Very frustrating!! For what we are paying every month there needs to be more set up like the desktop version as noted in earlier comments!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use the enhanced payroll feature and pay payroll taxes myself. Yet I still have to call QB if I need to make changes. Really what's the point! I don't like having QB "IN" my books. I want control in my hands, not theirs.

The payroll setup is cumbersome & confusing. We had to set up payroll 2 different times to get the history in & input payroll for the first time. Effective dates of payroll service kept changing.
        If Intuit wants to provide payroll in their online version, the software setup must be more flexible & user friendly.

There is no way my clients could have set this up on their own.

• Lee Ann Harmon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

bring back the QBD payroll summary report. This was the best report for reconciling payroll expenses and tax liabilities. Plus we use it for state income tax reporting, workers comp reporting, job costing, etc. etc.

• metcalf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Limit of 7 pay types and the lack of prompting to pay payroll taxes make the product lame. I've spent hours and hours on the phone with support trying to work around the fact that I can't delete unused pay types from completed projects or add new ones for new projects.

• Lou commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree desktop payroll was so much better. I regret using pay suite EVERY time I have to use it. I have asked for it to be looked at and told that QB need more than 10 customers to query it. There are more than 10 comments here and votes supporting the ideas to make it better.
        It is slow, repetitive and not as good as desktop. It is a frustrating, cumbersome and time wasting system. It is as though pay suite has to be migrated in to QBO because it is not fully integrated. The irony that humans are allowed to re-enter information that the computer has generated in to payroll clearing is a backwards step. It is NOT a streamlined system. If I want to be a note next to a pay amount on a payslip, I can't.
        I have put comments and asked for feedback for over a year since I took the plunge for QBO.
        The support technicians are helpful and sympathetic but as they did not work with the desktop version they don't know what we're missing. Which makes me wonder where have all the desktop payroll support team gone?
        PLEASE LOOK AT THIS AREA ASAP.

• Robin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why can't you print a payroll tax liability payment check from QBO? I hate QBO payroll. I use the desktop version of QB for most of my clients and love the payroll there. Only one of my QBO clients used the Online payroll and I have so many problems with it when it is time to prepare payroll reports and pay the liabilities. For my other QBO clients, I prepare payroll in my desktop version and record the results in QBO. I am totally in agreement with those who say, please make the QBO payroll more like the desktop version.

• HEATHER BIRCHILL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

QBO desperately needs to incorporate more of the flexibility available in the desktop payroll version. It's frustrating to constantly come up against payroll laws, pay types, deduction types and not be able to comply with regulation or have to find work arounds because the current system is SO restrictive. Desktop offers so much more flexibility in setting up pay codes, making on the fly adjustments when creating pay checks, setting up deductions and their specific taxability (ie. Transit Pass issues) etc. PLEASE work on adding similar functionality to the QBO platform!!

• mary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The desktop payroll module worked so well. SO WELL!!!! I find this system incredibly slow and cumbersome. FIX IT!!!

• NANCY WALZ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

First priority should be incorporating the flexibility of payroll items from QB desktop. Should be able to create pay types and set expense accounts and taxable/non taxable for every pay type.

• Jordan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need to allow customer to change vacation pay structure from hours to actual vacation pay earned (4%) to date. Meaning instead of having 80 hours vacation available, it would state the amount of money available to the employee.

• Kenneth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

agreed so much. The customer help # has no idea wtf they are doing when you have problems with the tax liabilities, and no idea how to fix it. I need to adjust the amount of tax liability previously entered, but cannot in QBO. And the customer support will just tell me I paid the incorrect amount, even though QBO is obviously showing the incorrect amount owed.

how has this not already been fixed???

They have obviously tacked on a skeleton payroll just to keep from losing clients to another product that offers payroll. I would not put a single client with payroll on QBO.

• Aran commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Quickbooks online payroll is awful! Need to be able to track classes and create more payroll items than just basic pay - feel like Quickboks online was mis-sold

Why can't the online version mirror the desktop version? From the 3 hours I have been on with support trying to figure out a contribution error and ending up cancelling the subscription and redoing it. I am very leery to use the online version. I may end up using my other payroll problem to do this clients payroll.

Following on from my Anon post on 25May16:
        After using the QBO payroll for the last two months I have decided to stop using it from this month's payroll. I must say I don't know what Intuit were thinking by tagging a third party software in QBO without any of the features which were available in QB desktop, not even the simple standard reports. I feel cheated!

• Paula Rosati commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree! I moved to QBO about 2 years ago when I left for vacation and didn't have time to finish quarterly payroll reports. Called employees to give me their pay info and I knew the report was wrong, so overpaid taxes and fixed it when I got back. Currently, I had to submit payroll info for my worker's comp policy, which happens to have different dates than quarterly reports. QB desktop had a simple payroll summary report that showed each employee's pay by WHATEVER DATES I CHOSE. Can't be done on QBO! Called support and was told I'd have to add each paycheck for each employee, MANUALLY! Really, VisiCalc was better than this 30 years ago. I really think QBO was unleashed too early, and they never asked for input from QuickBooks desktop clients before they released it.

I made the mistake of moving my 12 or so clients to QBO as never imagined the QBO payroll would be so much different (rubbish!) compared to the desk top version. QB must fix this asap as pretty much all the other facilities are similar. Why change the work flow design? I guess these are the pitfalls of having a third party software (Pay Suite) incorporated into an unrelated product. The decision to do this seems to have been rushed in order to launch the QBO and it feels like we the loyal QB customers are paying the price!

← Previous 1 3

QuickBooks Online Feature Requests: Payroll

Feedback and Knowledge Base