I suggest you ...

Add Customer Numbers to the database.

Big companies use it and when our customers go online to their bank to create an online bill pay entry they need one. We look like we are working out of our garage instead of from the corner office. I've been asking for 10 years in various forums. Sure there is a way to add the information to an invoice for each customer but painful instead of "My QuickBooks does it for me"

238 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mike MagnantMike Magnant shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ShaunaShauna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is essential - please add a customer/account number field. Names are not unique, and hijacking other fields for this purpose is way beneath Intuit, right?!
        Many organizations have multiple systems, and data synchronization is essential. A Primary Key is essential to data synchronization. This is a no-brainer. You had it in desktop - add it now to QBO.

• Ed SchwarzEd Schwarz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Painfully ridiculous not to have account number field in customers. Most of the world tracks and looks up using account numbers and it is necessary for my business.

• MattJMattJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'll add my voice and votes to this.
        Moved from QB desktop and can't believe this isn't here.
        Unnecessarily challenging working without/around this feature being missing.
        Really hoping it's implemented soon!

• Rankin & HouserRankin & Houser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are a security system company, and we MUST have customer account numbers. Without these numbers, we do not know what account to check the status of when an alarm failure occurs, among other situations. We had to manually go through and edit HUNDREDS of customers whose security systems we monitor to add the account numbers to the service address of each monitored customer when we switched from Desktop to QBO. This in turn messed up our field service management program, which imported all of the billing and service location addresses incorrectly, and we had to manually edit THOSE in turn, so we have now wasted hours upon hours of manpower to correct something that should never have been overlooked by Intuit in the first place. We can't believe that in 4+ years, this STILL hasn't been addressed!!

• Tim KeelerTim Keeler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As our businesss has grown we now have incedents of more than one customer with the same name. This has several times resulted in charges being billed to the wrong customer and payments being credited to the wrong customer's account. Customer account numbers are a must have feature for our continued use of QBO!

• Tracy LamphereTracy Lamphere commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've just started with Quickbooks and can't believe there is not a customer account field. WHAT company out there doesn't have account numbers for customers????? How do we tell the difference between John Smith in 5 states? How do we tell the difference between McDonalds restaurant in 12 locations in town??? This might be a deal breaker if I can't find a way to get the account numbers in there. Switching from Peachtree to Quickbooks and can't believe they don't have a space for this vital information. I'm a customer that gets invoices and on EVERY invoice, I have a customer number as well.

• John KnightJohn Knight commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is flat out a bug, if not in execution then in design. It should not need to be requested by users! JUST DO IT! QB Desktop does it. Why wasn't this basic, essential and simple item put into QBO??!!!

• NatasaNatasa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

QuickBooks Online already has unique NameID for each customer - I see this number in the url link when looking up customer's details. Why not just make this available in the reports? It would make exporting and syncing with other databases so much easier.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I find it ridiculous that such a simple, common feature is missing in QuickBooks Online. The work-arounds provided are simply not solutions to the problem. Come on Intuit!

I would love to be able to add a customer number to each account. Such as their phone number. Come on QB... Get to work!!!

I want to set up online banking for my customers. My banker told me this wouldn't be a problem because all accounting software like Simply Accounting has it. Now I find out that this is only available in the desktop version. With over 1500 customers this is not something I am prepared to do manually. This will be a deal breaker for me when recommending QBO to other businesses.

The banks will not use customer names or addresses for online banking. They require unique account numbers for each customer.

Yes! I agree please! Plus Quickbooks should be able to generate new unique numbers for new clients if desired!

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be nice since we have customers with the similar and/or same names and this would be one way to tell them appart.

• Steven WoodSteven Wood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why on earth can't we add account numbers? This is a core element of just about every business i've ever worked at that sends out invoices or statements

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In company set up. You can add some additional fields. That is where I put our customer numbers.

• GregGreg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, being able to assign a customer number would be huge. So we can track customers more easily and use customer customer numbers that we assign.

Feedback and Knowledge Base