I suggest you ...

Provide a report writer that enables us to easily query our data and connect different sets of data, filtering and sorting as needed

Back in the day.... we had ASK MANMAN. It had a simple report writer that enabled slightly better than ordinary users to create their own reports. All tables of data were available, and users could link any tables on various columns, filtering and sorting by anything. There were also some simple formatting tools so you could paginate, and change headers, etc.
Currently, we bill once a month to our parents, and we like to give them an envelope to put their payment in. On the front of the envelope, I like to put a simple statement of what they owe. Tuition, credit for deposit, late fee, etc. There is not more than 5 lines. Currently I have to run a QBOL report, paste it into a spreadsheet, which does some re-formatting, then use that spreadsheet in a Word mail merge document to print the envelopes.
I also like to give a receipt after parents pay. My wife used to spend hours writing them out. Now I, similar to the above, run a deposit detail report, paste that into a spreadsheet, which parses out each payment and formats it into a receipt.
It would be nice if I could write my own reports to get this information in the form I need.

237 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jim Linder shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Wayne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Include account as a filter/column in a transaction listing.
        At the moment you cannot make a database in excel, as account is only a header and not in every line item. you can get around with an excel formula - but just fix it.

• JoeM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For dashboards and financial analysis, QBO users should look into Microsoft's Power BI. It has a connection to QBO and generates a dashboard. Also its for free!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This addition would be a much used tool here. It seems crazy not to get to some of your data in the system. The customization on the standard reports helps but does not go far enough.

This is probably the 1 area that I had the most WITHDRAWAL from using the Desktop version. Customization of reports is a very important tool and was used extensively on the Desktop version.

• Sarah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need to be able to run a report that contains any fields I wish - e.g., I'd like to have shipping address fields and invoice detail fields (product & qty ordered, etc.) show up in one report. QBO desktop does this without a problem.
        I also would like to ability to automate a report & send it to an email or post to FTP as Brian said below.

• brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A more robust reporting feature would be TRANSFORMATIONAL for us. All our financial data is locked in QBO and we have exceptionally limited access to it. This data is critical to running our business and while standard accounting reports are nice for accountants, we're running a business and need to create financial reports that help us manage the business.

The one killer feature that would make this addition valuable to us would be the ability to automate the report and send it to an email or post to FTP. That way we could programatically grab the data and create our dashboards / combine with other data sources, etc. As is, we're stuck with manually running standard reports and then uploading them into our dashboards system. Very 1999.

We need in order to design more concise cash flow status reports for Mobile display for owners who are in the field. Norton West

• Barb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Summary reports would be helpful as well. I don't want to see every time sheet for a customer just the total for each timekeeper!!

Reports are the worst implemented thing in QBO right now. We desperately need the more here. The search and modify is very limited. It takes so much more effort than the desktop version and much poorer results

This is a great idea. I have a client that hires independent contractors to do consulting work. He would like to generate a report that links payments from customers to the independent contractor bill. He wants to pay the independent contractor when he receives payment from the client. Currently this function is done by a part-time staff clerk using Excel. This would save him a lot of time and expense.

If it's not considered part of the standard product, make it available for an additional price. As a former crystal reports and FRx report writer user, I am constantly frustrated by the inability to get my company data (that I know exists in the tables) exported into a format that's usable at the touch of a button. Custom, flexible reporting is critical for optimized company decision-making and accounting team productivity.

Most printed reports take up twice as much space as they need too and not being able to define all columns is a problem.

Yes, quick query would be FABULOUS!

Especially with Fixed Assets or Intangible Assets, when you'd like to just see your Net Book Value as of a certain date.

Or query accounts that begin with the number "4" to run a summarized report of all accounts that roll up to their parent account.

Additionally, it would be WONDERFUL to custom tweak reports to "collapse" and "expand" in certain areas. ie. "collapse" the Equity section and "expand" the Assets section on the Balance Sheet.

Thanks! ;)

QuickBooks Online Feature Requests: Reports

Feedback and Knowledge Base