I suggest you ...

Make the user rights more flexible and customizable

more flexibility for users would help my company. I am a small business owner and need to concentrate on administrative; book keeping matters. I would love to have our staff have access to our vendor information without having access to the register or have the ability to write checks. This would enable me to hand off vendor invoices for entry and free my time considerably. Unfortunately your on-line version is quite limited. We used your contractor edition software years ago and found those user features worked quite well.

Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated. As our company grows, I can say that without greater user flexibility, unfortunately we will have to make a move to another program that is slightly more diversified.

2,416 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Lisa NixonLisa Nixon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

252 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Riki ShafigiRiki Shafigi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE allow for users to be able to create purchase orders without having the right to see everything in the checking accounts. Salespeople have no business seeing what goes on financially, but they need access to do POs. Please give more options to separate user rights, because currently, none of my salespeople are able to create PO's and its a huge inconvenience for them to have to constantly bother our accountant to generate it for them. We will also be moving to another program unless this is solved quickly.. we have been complaining about this issue since January.

• Mike HallMike Hall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a new company and after seeing this, it will keep me from using quickbooks/intuit from doing my payroll

• ZacharyZachary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow. This is really bad. The payroll info is available to anyone with access to the register. So if you need an employee to be able to pay bills, they get to see everybody's private salary info!?

This is just the worst part of how lacking the acess rights controls are. Only full amdins can make deposits, only 2 customization options, and both are too sweeping to really be of use.

How much longer is this not going to be fixed?

• MTMT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. Any user can see payroll amounts in the check register so it is impossible to have a user help with anything. Those amounts should go into the register for other users as a one line amount for payroll. For the authorized users, it should show the individual checks in the register

• ChuckChuck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OMG! Please hide the payroll info! I just found out that all my other users can see the payroll info in the register (each and every check and payee and amount is listed). Wow. And it evens says that one of the user access rights custom options makes it so they "cannot view payroll info." But that is entirely incorrect. Unless the
        term "payroll info" does not apply to who is getting paid how much(!).

Sorry but these user access rights options are amazingly bad. In both custom access options the user cannot make deposits. Why? I don't know. And the user access rights descriptions make no mention of it at all.

It seems that since this is an online version of QB, it should be solution for multiple users in multiple locations, and so the user access controls are even more important than in the desktop version (which is frequently used by one person). But somehow that common sense notion was overlooked.

Please prioritize this to the top. Sure an iPad version is nice, but that is a friendly enhancement. This user rights dysfunction, especially in relation to payroll info, is a FIX that affects the core function of basic everyday users.

• Z TwistZ Twist commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was really, really disappointed and frustrated with the misleading info that I could configure my permissions so that other QBO users would not see payroll info. The permissions are very far from that flexible. In fact, there are only two such access options and both of them allow access to payroll info either by viewing the payroll tab or the register (which includes check names and amounts). The only "solution" is to set them up to have basically no permissions at all, such that they can't really do or help with any basic tasks in QBO. This was a HUGE let down for me.

PLEASE fix the permissions settings so that payroll info can truly be hidden from other QBO users.
        Simply create an access/permissions option specific to payroll that does the following for the user:
        - Greys out the Employees tab
        - Makes payroll entries in the register either anonymous (listig payee as "Payroll" or something) or entered as an aggregate total.
        - Leaves everything else accessible if desired (making deposits, writing checks, etc.)

If this does not happen soon, I will be forced to leave QBO Payroll because I need to transfer QBO responsobilities to my team members but currently cannot as they would have to have access to everyone's payroll numbers.

• anon2anon2 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a CRITICAL issue. Permissions are much more customizable with the desktop version, and one of the main benefits of the program. The customization of "Access Rights" in the online version is far too limited. Intuit, are you working on improving this issue??
        As with others, we are small business that would like to limit what our employees/users can access. We had it set up well with the desktop version, but are now forced to change our methods with the online version. Why didn't you just make the permissions settings the same as the desktop version?!

• Barbara WetzelBarbara Wetzel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also see: add levels of security post
        Discusses same issue, separation of duties and limited access to certain areas is a vital part of accounting.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Payroll confidentiality is a must! Our employees are "Vendors" in QBO, so all payroll info is visible to every user. This prohibits me from delegating tasks. Huge time/cost killer! :(

I can't make our employees, "Employees" due to multi-member LLC ownership status. Tried outsourcing the payroll to QB, however this option isn't offered with our unique situation.

• Winnie BadeWinnie Bade commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Before the new payroll system was implemented last year, only the total payroll was visible in the check register. Now, each employee's name is listed along with net pay. I had to cut all staff off from running reports.

• Judy WilkesJudy Wilkes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have 3 people working daily in QB. I really need to be able to exclude access to the banking information and check writing from my purchasing and a/p staff. Lisa detailed this very well. Thank you.

• Stanley QuayleStanley Quayle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, the rights need to be much granular. My accountant, for example, shouldn't be able to write checks, create quotes and PO's, etc. I don't have a problem with him looking at the information, but creation should be locked out.

1 2 9 10 11 13 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base