I suggest you ...

Make the user rights more flexible and customizable

more flexibility for users would help my company. I am a small business owner and need to concentrate on administrative; book keeping matters. I would love to have our staff have access to our vendor information without having access to the register or have the ability to write checks. This would enable me to hand off vendor invoices for entry and free my time considerably. Unfortunately your on-line version is quite limited. We used your contractor edition software years ago and found those user features worked quite well.

Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated. As our company grows, I can say that without greater user flexibility, unfortunately we will have to make a move to another program that is slightly more diversified.

2,416 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Lisa NixonLisa Nixon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

252 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello? Anyone home here?

This has been a top 4 vote-getting feature request for years, and has not gotten addressed at all.

The worst of it is that all the payroll info can be viewed by the most basic level of users in the register! Fail.

I wonder what happened to Micah Sampson "escalating" the issue "to the project managers and engineers." (see his post above) I guess nothing....

We need to separate the ability to cut vendor PO's or enter vendor invoices from access to the checking account register where all payroll checks live.
        Same with customers, cutting bill of sale or payment receipt.

Need more ways to limit users access. I need a data entry person only. If I hire someone to enter in bills, they can go to my payroll register which has nothing to do with my operating account where the bill are paid and see how much I, the VP or anyone else at a level above them make. If I also have them enter in new employees into the system, there is no way to limit them from seeing people’s information who are at a higher lever than them…ie VP, CEO. They can see where they live, etc. Please give us more options to limit users access.

• Alicia Alicia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One idea that sounds excellent is to customize the Manage Users area so that not only can the access to Vendors be customized but the Customer side can also be further customized. There can still be the little checkbox to have the Customer & Sales along with the Vendors & Purchases, but if there was a little drop down arrow so you can select exactly what you want that user to do, that would be incredibly helpful.

• Ginger ScottGinger Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree. I want my office manager to be able to make deposits having full blow admin rights to register, write checks, and payroll. Making a deposit seems like a benign task without a lot of risk so not sure why on the limited access options she can view register, write checks, and edit payroll but can't deposit money.

I need a user to literally be able to everything except view/manipulate bank info.

Total vender, client, and preferences access.

Thanks

• Z TwistZ Twist commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The title of this feature request is much too tame. "More flexible" should be "NOT COMPLETELY RETARDED!"

How could this still be an issue for this long! The payroll permissions oversight is so incredibly bad that I think someone should actually be fired for this.

• ken dehonken dehon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a a growing company that currently has 18 mobile service providers. I anticipate growing by more than 100 over the next 24 months.

I need my service writers to be able to invoice and track their accounts. They should be able to see what invoices are outstanding for their customers only.

There must be more flexibility for QB Mobile so the owner / administrator of their company can choose the levels of accessibility. the basic's of a business is billing for products and services and most business owners don't want service or counter sales people having anymore access than that. So please give us the ability to choose the levels of user interface with more distinct choices.

• Matthew BernierMatthew Bernier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also like more user rights I have gotten at least 5 cancellations myself because the user rights are not more flexible, and at least 10 detractor surveys received because of this limitation. If you want a way to make more money and increase customer satisfaction then PLEASE seriously look into this. To me as well as a majority of customers I have spoken with this is practically the number ONE issue that is holding customers back from using our product or being a promoter.

• Monty GloverMonty Glover commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need to be able to allow an employee to issue and print checks as well as enter bank deposits, but have no access to the bank account register or payroll.

• JasonJason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes. Please. Fix that payroll thing. It is basically crippling my organization's use of QBO.

Thanks Micah. Glad to see this might finally be getting noticed. I know I have submitted about this over the feedback button numerous times. The payroll support people all know about it when I mention it to them ("I don't know what to tell you" they say), and its clear that many others here have the same frustration.

Yes. The permissions are seriously needing attention, and I think the vote count on this request places it to get some priority action.

But I do want to clarify that the supremely critical issue here is with the permissions to view PAYROLL data. There is not any more sensitive common QBO user data. Access to payroll MUST be limited. But QBO simply dropped the ball on this one.

In the user rights customization, one of the only two options is "Vendors and Purchases." The description states that with it checked the user "CAN'T" "View or modify any payroll data." This is plainly false as they'll be able to see who was paid how much right there in the register! Come on now. This must be fixed ASAP.

Yes, the whole permissions thing needs a rework/rewrite [amazingly limited options, inconsistent language (are they "user rights?" or "permissions?"), no mention of important desposit permissions, etc.]. But the PAYROLL permissions issue should NOT have to wait for all that to occur. It needs a priority fix now.

Count me as another CEO who cannot share QBO tasks with employees because of this, and is looking elsewhere for solutions as I've been waiting for a fix for much too long.

• Micah SampsonMicah Sampson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for all the comments on this issue. My name is Micah and I am a manager for QuickBooks Online Payroll. We do monitor this feedback channel as well as the feedback button directly inside of QuickBooks Online. We realize that user permissions is a hot issue for many of our users. I just wanted to post and let you all know that this feedback, along with other feedback received, is used to make improvements to the product. We work very hard to implement new features into the product, as you may have noticed with some of our monthly releases. While I can't give you a timeframe as to when improvements will be made to user permissions, I can tell you that it is something that is being looked into by our engineers. Personally, I have escalated this directly to some of our project managers and engineers to investigate further. We do listen, and we appreciate all the feedback from our customers.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This issue where anyone who can see the register can see payroll is an absolutely amazing fail on QBO's part. I've been complaining about it for over a year. No apparent movement at all on it. No replies or "Under Review" designations from the QBO developers. And it now has the 2nd most votes, behind the much less of a deal breaker invoice customization request.

Is anyone even monitoring this feature request stuff? Does the payroll team see this stuff? Should we all just jump ship?

I got pretty well swindled by Intuit when the sales guy told me, "Oh yeah, you can totally hide the payroll data from other users. There are lots of permissions options." No, sir, there are not. I wish I could go back and tell him, but Intuit does not seem to give a darn anyway.

• MTMT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. It is very important that those able to bill customers and those that pay vendors cannot see the check register because they can see what everyone is paid. Bad system. I am thinking about finding another system this year that allows more flexibility.

• Winnie BadeWinnie Bade commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

THIS IS THE BIGGEST MOST IMPORTANT ISSUE FOR INTUIT TO FIX IN QUICKBOOKS ONLINE. YOU WILL LOSE CUSTOMERS IF YOU PROVIDE BETTER CONTROL OVER ACCESS TO PAYROLL DATA. ARE YOU LISTENING?

• SolomonSolomon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OK. The iPad version came out now. Congratulations to those who lobbied for that.

Now can we please fix the less sexy but far more CRITICAL issue affecting all of us computer users: the stunningly bad user rights/permissions controls in QBO, especially in relation to payroll.

The problem with the payroll data being visible is a mind boggling oversight by the QBO development team. (See all the comments below)

Is anybody looking at this? Anybody paying attention to this? Hello is anybody home?

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes more customization for what a users has access to.
        Make sure you include hiding the subscription cost without limiting other access

• robin perryrobin perry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE -- MOVE THIS UP IN YOUR QUE FOR FIX!!
        WE NEED TO HAVE USERS PERFORM DATA ENTRY FOR VENDOR ACTIVITY WITHOUT HAVING ACCESS TO FINANCIAL INFORMATION- IE; REGISTER!

• Malik Malik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that payroll information should not be exposed to users who have the authority to visualize the register. I switched to QB online with the assumption that this feature is available in a way similar to the desktop version. I am really disappointed that this is not the case and started looking for alternative solutions.

Feedback and Knowledge Base