I suggest you ...

Make the user rights more flexible and customizable

more flexibility for users would help my company. I am a small business owner and need to concentrate on administrative; book keeping matters. I would love to have our staff have access to our vendor information without having access to the register or have the ability to write checks. This would enable me to hand off vendor invoices for entry and free my time considerably. Unfortunately your on-line version is quite limited. We used your contractor edition software years ago and found those user features worked quite well.

Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated. As our company grows, I can say that without greater user flexibility, unfortunately we will have to make a move to another program that is slightly more diversified.

2,641 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Lisa Nixon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

265 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • rolf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Heather, thanks for doing that. I am concerned though as the person claiming to be a manager, Micah Sampson, posted in this thread a year ago that this was escalated. Micah Sampson has not been heard of since so I am not sure what that means.

We are actively looking for another solution as I can not utilize the five seats we paid for because of this and we can not operate our office as we did during Desktop.

I simple can not have a person authorized to write a check to vendors also be able to see Profit & Loss and even worse: PAYROLL !

What were they thinking and why are they not fixing it??

• Heather Miller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just took a manager escalation for a customer today who indicated that this is a serious issue for him. He doesn't want his staff to see his P&L or Balance Sheet.

Is there anything we can implement - another user that only has access to invoice customers but remove the access to the other private information that they don't need?

• rolf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is BAD news. I see that the Micah Sampson, the manager for QB commented about a year ago on this thread by promising a solution for this and said it was "escalated" I was swayed over to QB Online by being told everything is the same as Desktop, just in different places. Yeah right.

Please remove the Profit and Loss/Sales info in HUGE FONT on homepage for all seats and ALL to see. An employee authorized to write a check to vendor does NOT need to see this PRIVATE information. I paid for 5 seats yet I can not use them for anything because of this!

I don't need this information on the homepage myself. Anyone walking behind me can see this PRIVATE information as it is in HUGE font. What is the point?

If I need these numbers I will run a report. PLEASE FIX NOW or we will look for a different solution.

• Dayna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I fully agree! We have just a few employees that need to be able to order items, add customers and product and that's all. Obviously there is no way to do this. Will this be added in the near future?

• Mark Kaley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My decision to stay with QBO will depend on this issue getting resolved! I need to have ability for office manager to enter vendor bills without seeing the company bank register and accompanying payroll information. I do not mind that person seeing vendor registers and past vendor activity but, no need to see the company bank register. Just allow a shut-off of that function on the custom user set-up.

• Justin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Deposits, Journal Entries and Reconcile should be accessible functions below ALL Admin Rights. I was told a year ago when I signed up that this feature was coming soon.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would be a huge help if there were more ways to customize users access. Mainly allowing access to income related activity without viewing business financials.

Hide Financial Overview from certain users with access to estimates and invoicing.

• jc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Be able to select more access rights. More flexible to do that.

• Lucas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Granting limited access to users for estimates, invoices etc.

I believe more options are to be provided. 1 very good example whereby Sales personnel are allow to issue estimates but the company DOES NOT want them to be able to view outstanding invoices open or due which is very sensitive. QBO does not allow this and this is a problem as it lacks flexibility

• gordon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I set up limited access for a shipping person to enter customer orders and print packing slips. Quickbooks thinks it is appropriate to show our company financial snapshot - displaying monthly gross income - to my shipping employee.
        What kind of baloney is this? This makes the multi-user feature totally useless.

• mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need a limited user option so my office manager can make deposits but not see the register or write checks. All of these suggestions are a very easy fix. Have a checklist for options you want any user to enable / disable. It's really not that hard and is obviously something every user needs. STOP DEVELOPING THINGS WE DON'T NEED AND LISTEN TO YOUR CUSTOMERS INSTEAD OF LISTENING TO DEVELOPERS WHO DO NOT USE THE SYSTEM ON A DAY TO DAY BASIS!

I agree, we need to be able to defined what user can and can not see based on accounts or account types. Being able to have more details on what users can do and or see is very important.

It would be helpful for managers to be able to see time / cost to date without having to ask accounting for a report. They need to know if a project is on track or in danger of going over budget while there is still time to make adjustments.

Hello? Anyone home here?

This has been a top 4 vote-getting feature request for years, and has not gotten addressed at all.

The worst of it is that all the payroll info can be viewed by the most basic level of users in the register! Fail.

I wonder what happened to Micah Sampson "escalating" the issue "to the project managers and engineers." (see his post above) I guess nothing....

We need to separate the ability to cut vendor PO's or enter vendor invoices from access to the checking account register where all payroll checks live.
        Same with customers, cutting bill of sale or payment receipt.

Need more ways to limit users access. I need a data entry person only. If I hire someone to enter in bills, they can go to my payroll register which has nothing to do with my operating account where the bill are paid and see how much I, the VP or anyone else at a level above them make. If I also have them enter in new employees into the system, there is no way to limit them from seeing people’s information who are at a higher lever than them…ie VP, CEO. They can see where they live, etc. Please give us more options to limit users access.

• Alicia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One idea that sounds excellent is to customize the Manage Users area so that not only can the access to Vendors be customized but the Customer side can also be further customized. There can still be the little checkbox to have the Customer & Sales along with the Vendors & Purchases, but if there was a little drop down arrow so you can select exactly what you want that user to do, that would be incredibly helpful.

• Ginger Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree. I want my office manager to be able to make deposits having full blow admin rights to register, write checks, and payroll. Making a deposit seems like a benign task without a lot of risk so not sure why on the limited access options she can view register, write checks, and edit payroll but can't deposit money.

I need a user to literally be able to everything except view/manipulate bank info.

Total vender, client, and preferences access.

Thanks

• Z Twist commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The title of this feature request is much too tame. "More flexible" should be "NOT COMPLETELY RETARDED!"

How could this still be an issue for this long! The payroll permissions oversight is so incredibly bad that I think someone should actually be fired for this.

QuickBooks Online Feature Requests: Users

Feedback and Knowledge Base