I suggest you ...

Custom Fields

Would be nice if we had some simple custom fields that we could add to items like Customers, Sales Orders etc. To help us better organize. I.e. track if customer is Wholesale type or Retail type of customer etc. We have customers we take care of internally or in-house and some we contract out to manager for other companies. Custom fields that we could search by would help make it easier to organize data and filter reports. Thanks -

361 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Greg shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

54 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • kphahn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm in full agreement about the custom fields. Customer type is essential as well as searchable custom fields.

• cfreeland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was told the solution to this is the ability to create our own templates in the next release. I don't have time to create my own template, particularly when I like yours. I simply want to be able to add my EIN number to your existing template so that I don't have to type it into every invoice.

• cfreeland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The custom fields have rules attached to them so they are not truly custom fields. Custom fields need to be free form with no rules attached so we can use them for whatever data we like. My particular issue is with EIN (data typically needed on most invoices). The custom fields are set up so that I have to enter "EIN Number" in the field. It will then show on my invoice, but each time I will have to type in the EIN number. Further, when I tried to type my slogan in the custom field, it was ignored.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think "customer type" would help do this too. You can not assign a customer type in the online version like you can on the desktop

• KK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am looking to add unique fields to the customer template as I see fit. Ex. Parents are my customer, but I want to add the kid's name to customer information. Ex. How did you hear about us.

• julia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For me, using the custom fields are too cumbersome as they have to be keyed each time on the individual invoice. There needs to be a customer type and sales rep field added to the customer detail screen at minimum so that information carries over without having to enter it each time we run an invoice.

Add custom customer fields. In addition to custom invoice fields, allow for custom customer fields 1, 2 3.

• nazrin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

but that custom fields were on header. can we create it in the column beside description under the table content

I have a custom field called "Purchase Order". Would be great if the Customer Statement showed my custom field "Purchase Order" along with the usual invoice number.

• Jeff Mullins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is really requested here is blank or drop-down fields to acknowledge more data attached to the customer/vendor. As a programmer, I am shocked to see the online version so deficient vs. the desktop version. The desktop version has 7 custom fields (and they are not just sales/invoice fields). Notice the reply here from "product development". They state they have 3 custom fields available, but notice it says "company > preferences > sales form entry > custom fields". This means is it not a custom field till you create an invoice. What if we need to add global customer/vendor info that is not needed on every invoice like their shipping preference or lease dates? When you add this the notes section, it can easily get chaotic with other entries made. Also, you cannot run reports on the data since it could be miles of entries made that are non-related. Add the custom fields and the requests will go away.

I wish there was a way to add custom fields on the invoices such as a customer number or account number

• Kathy C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In addition, we need to be able to make these pull down fields so that the end user can only select one option. That way when creating reports or searches, we are not dealing with different spellings or misspellings!

• Michann Acevedo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know I just posted a comment, but I just realized this has been requested since 2012 and has still not been implemented. This seems like it would be a fairly simple request and is one of the reasons I have been looking at competitors, because it seems so silly that I am stuck with this limit. Can you please give us some idea of whether there is any hope this will be addressed in the near future?

• Michann Acevedo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please allow more custom fields on the invoice. Three is not enough. Also, the ability to set the input type for each field (such as date, a dropdown list created by the user, number, etc.) would be HUGE. Thank you.

QuickBooks Online Feature Requests: Sales Transaction

Feedback and Knowledge Base