I suggest you ...

Custom Fields

Would be nice if we had some simple custom fields that we could add to items like Customers, Sales Orders etc. To help us better organize. I.e. track if customer is Wholesale type or Retail type of customer etc. We have customers we take care of internally or in-house and some we contract out to manager for other companies. Custom fields that we could search by would help make it easier to organize data and filter reports. Thanks -

361 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Greg shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

54 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • G Ritchie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We used custom fields in Desktop for customers. There is information we collect that doesn't have to appear in an invoice but is an important detail.

• Stacy Buckler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be nice to add custom fields to customers, invoices, po, estimates and anything else. Not everyone has the same information on their forms as other businesses. QBD was much better with this option.

• Stacy Buckler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be nice to add custom fields to customers, invoices, po, estimates and anything else. Everyone like to create their forms to what is needed for their business. QBD was much better with this option.

• Phil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Getting the Customer tab 'Custom' fields back would be great. We lost some important information when transferring to QBO

• Lynne Moninger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just signed up after using desktop version for 15 years plus. I am very upset that my customer's custom fields are not usable! We operate in multiple states with multiple taxing authorities. I was able to designate the tax jurisdiction by county and then city as required for each customer as I set them up, ONE TIME, the data auto populating my invoice fields, and now you are saying I have to look this up and fill it in every time I create an invoice??? WE send out 100+ invoices every month. I in turn export a huge list of sales at the end of the year into an excel spreadsheet, and after about an hour of sorting and summing, have my income by state, county, and city for the accountant. Since none of my custom reports exported/imported, I now have the monumental task of recreating them, if possible. I also noticed my preferred delivery method did not export/import and at the moment it appears I will have to go through several hundred customers correcting that setting; I am praying this isn't so. I was a tax preparer for several years before this job and took part in changing tax software from one company to another twice with far less trouble than what I am going to have changing from QuickBooks to QuickBooks - that is just stupid beyond belief. I have barely started reviewing this and to see these two huge issues right from the beginning with simple customer record fields...very, VERY discouraging. As to drop down lists as I have seen suggested in other posts...that would be fine if you have a finite number of items to choose from, but that is not my situation, and the drop down list would not solve my issues unless I could add tens of choices, which few drop down lists support.

• Rathore Ajit M Singh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Custome filed should be purely customized where we can lock them to Data type like date drop down list a customized formulla for text input and validation

• Charlotte commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Custom fields on the Sales Entry Form are great for the Sales Entry Form but I want the custom fields as used on QB desktop to linked to customer not the transaction. For instance I know how the customer found me (source field with a drop down) and have customer type and a single customer may belong to several types. It is extremely useful.

• Kathy C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having Custom Fields on Forms is nice, but it would be better if these same custom fields were directly tied to the customer record allowing them to auto populate when we create sales forms for customers. (just like the address and email address auto-populate!) I have clients that store specific information about their customers and need it to populate on their sales forms. currently, they need to look up this information every time they create an invoice and reenter it into the custom fields.

• Philip commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

custom fields which are searchable because qbo doesnt even have a standard PO field on invoices.

• Jeff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We own a pool and spa business and have always used the custom fields to add information in their customer records.. IE equip, chemical choice, kids names and we have always attached pictures to their records.. having just signed up yesterday It looks like I will have to cancel until these solutions are offered in the online version.

• Ricky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@everyone - Please consider asking for DROP-DOWN MENUS or LISTS as an alternative to CUSTOM FIELDS.

• Ricky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@admin - Correct, QBO already has 3 custom fields but 3 more would be great -- please add. I think what Greg is asking for are custom drop-down menus or lists -- the same way TERMS are presented.

@Greg - I hope I didn't misunderstand your comment, but I think custom drop-down menus would better serve you -- and me. This way, you can create a list of options once and choose your option from a drop-down menu. Adding a required option, to avoid skipping the drop-down menu, would also be helpful. Custome fields are great for unique data like SSANs or SKUs but not identifying data like types or kinds.

• bethmelanson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add any custom fields that have been created in our files to the customer contact report, customization, add columns option. These fields are imperative to any report that is done. The function of being able to filter by the custom fields would be a huge timesaver. Please add them right away. Thank you!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be nice if there could be a custom field that is required, and one that has a drop down choice - so that you could track invoice staging (we categorize our invoices like pending review, work in progress, completed but not ready for delivery yet)

• nana commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For a small business owner, this is imperitive. I have mentioned this to half a customer service reps over the past two weeks (as we worked to solve other problems) and not one mentioned to me about the company preferences solution. However, three is FAR to few. Accounting is only half the reason I use Quickbooks--it is important to have one place to keep all the information about a customer. For now my fix will be Excel, but if I find a product that is suited to my business (and there are many) I will leave Quickbooks.

• mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have just read this website,you have posted a very nice post.You have written about custom fields which are quite informative.
        yellow bricks easy to use for construction buy them from londonyellowbricks.co.uk

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The custom fields QBO offers are only in the invoice/form templates.

We need customized "Customer Details" fields. Pull-down fields where we decide the criteria. For example, a drop-down where we can choose customer type - Govt. Contract, Non-Govt. Contract, Grant, Sponsorship....etc. (that is specific to our non-proft and may not be applicable to other businesses, so 'customize-able' is KEY)

Searchable.... yes. Field option for all reports.

← Previous 1 3

QuickBooks Online Feature Requests: Deposits

Feedback and Knowledge Base