• facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  AdminQBO Team (Admin, QuickBooks Online) responded  · 

Thank you so much for your feedback on sales form customization in QuickBooks. We acknowledge that we have a ways to go, but we’ve staffed this feature and are making headway.

Right now, we have two versions of form customization running in parallel. In our newest one, we just released a beta of style import, wherein you can bring any *.docx based invoice template and use it in QuickBooks. You may access this feature by going to the gear, then clicking “QuickBooks Labs” > “Import Style.” Not on this version? We are moving people every month and enabling you to keep your old form too! Your default will change to start, but you can always revert to a frozen version of your old form without editing capabilities if you’d like.

Lately we’ve been working on the print infrastructure to ensure you can print larger batches and render PDFs faster, invoice layout alignment, column width handling, and lots of your other requests.

Next we will set our sights on supporting more forms (like statements) and expanding the import capabilities.

Your feedback helps us prioritize what to do next. I hope this gives some transparency into what the team is working on. Thanks for your patience and keep the feedback coming!​​

968 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very poor forward thinking on Quickbooks part to NOT have invoices customizable with fonts. The printing of invoices on their new online Quickbooks totally stinks!!

• Ian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm giving this about 2 more weeks, then I'm canceling for sure. No idea what Intuit is thinking on this one...

• Juan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

FEW MONTHS !!!, what happen with you guys, this is 2014 no 1995. is just embarrassed to send those invoices and logo. Will be FEW DAYS to cancel it. How QB wait for comments, just put a professional to do some work.

+1 to everything here. Serious upgrades needed, I'm embarrassed to send these ugly invoices to clients. It's particularly a problem for me because I'm a graphic designer and ugly communications reflect badly on me.

It would love to be able to edit the CSS of my invoice styling, upload background images, header/footer images. The image compression on the logos is terrible too. If one is on a retina screen it looks even worse. Please fast-track this! Thank you QB.

• Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have used other apps online for billing customers, such as invoice to go, and they have all had windows that could be dragged and dropped to provide a more complete customization. When I print my invoices, the Return and Invoice To don't even line up with the Envelope Windows. It would be great to be able to change the placement of these, or standardize them with standard Envelopes. There are only two or three different standard sizes, and making it an option to be able to choose which size envelope size is being used would be a great addition. I use two windows, but other users might only use one. If this isn't going to be an option, then I will probably switch back to Sage, as I am not going to start buying labels or printing on envelopes addresses. What a waste of time. And currently, with your address labels not lining up with the windows, I have been having to use Sage to print off my invoices and receipts so that it doesn't look unprofessional. Please fix this. I like the program and integration with my iPhone, and would hate to have to switch back to Sage.

• Paul Stanley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm looking to have the invoice show less on the tax description. Is this possible? it says PST/GST MB 2013 Tax . I'm not sure why it needs more than tax or exempt, when it clearly shows the percentages of each tax at the bottom. Can this we changed so a large percentage of the line isn't used up by the tax description? thx

Our invoices using QB Online are horrible looking! WE NEED TO BE ABLE TO CUSTOMIZE!!!

very disappointed at the Online version; the invoices are barely customizable, and the subtotal line is absolutely required. I'm very concerned that so many users have been so vocal for months about these needs but nothing has changed yet. It feels as though the on line versions is a huge step backward;, how could a company as long established as Quick Books do this poor a job?

I completely agree! What QBO offers is completely unprofessional looking. I run a branding firm and, yes it matters what your invoices look like. I actually have our accountant take the time to enter invoices in QBO as well as another application. She does it in QBO first, so that when payment comes in, we can keep record of it and then in another application where it actually looks good. That one gets sent to the client. It's a completely backwards process, but absolutely necessary - until QBO comes out of the dark ages!

I completely agree! What QBO offers is completely unprofessional looking. I run a branding firm and, yes it matters what your invoices look like. I actually have our accountant take the time to enter invoices in QBO as well as another application. She does it in QBO first, so that when payment comes in, we can keep record of it and then in another application where it actually looks good. That one gets sent to the client. It's a completely backwards process, but absolutely necessary - until QBO comes out of the dark ages!

• mattjeffs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Full customization of Invoice Layout is critical as the template styles offered are very unprofessional. This could be easily implemented through basic HTML editing/coding and then supplied a list of database fields which can be inserted through tags such as {database field}.

All form templates should have full customization and applicable database fields supplied for insertion.

• mattjeffs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Full customization of Invoice Layout is critical as the template styles offered are very unprofessional. This could be easily implemented through basic HTML editing/coding and then supplied a list of database fields which can be inserted through tags such as {database field}.

All form templates should have full customization and applicable database fields supplied for insertion.

• Ian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ok qbo, it's been 4 months since you said you started work on this in the new version, I just tested out the new version and this feature is still missing. Can you please provide us with an update?

I'm not sure what the logic was for the "Product/Service" column. Unless you have VERY SHORT sku's, all your invoices will come out extremely messy, with the "product" wrapping in the column. This is unacceptable, been waiting years for a fix.

• Chel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Okay, I am on the trial version of QB online and just discovered the poor options/quality for customizing invoices, this is just NOT going to work. Printing the few versions they offer does not line up addresses for my double window envelope. My logo is too small. The three "styles" do not look professional at all. While I have a few customers that I email bills to, the vast majority require that I mail a printed copy and if this is the best that QB online can do with the customization & options for printed invoices, this is just not going to work for me at all.

I'd like an update on this, please. Like the many people that have commented before, I'd appreciate at least the amount of customization we had with the old version of QuickBooks Online. I am not sure these invoices are workable in this version.

• dlsbiz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been migrating shared-company customers to Online, but the invoice layout is terrible. I want my logo above my company name, not across the page and shrunk to a smudge.

Now that the new version is out, is there a timeline when invoice customization will be available?

• tlaney1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just bought online version. But with invoices so small that our customers won't be able to read them has me torn about getting my money back. Do you know when these customize invoice changes is going to come out? I see a it says in a few months but that was November 2013 it is now March 2014.

QuickBooks Online Feature Requests: Sales Transaction

Feedback and Knowledge Base