Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AnonymousAnonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  QBO TeamAdminQBO Team (Admin, QuickBooks Online) responded  · 

Thank you so much for your feedback on sales form customization in QuickBooks. We acknowledge that we have a ways to go, but we’ve staffed this feature and are making headway.

Right now, we have two versions of form customization running in parallel. In our newest one, we just released a beta of style import, wherein you can bring any *.docx based invoice template and use it in QuickBooks. You may access this feature by going to the gear, then clicking “QuickBooks Labs” > “Import Style.” Not on this version? We are moving people every month and enabling you to keep your old form too! Your default will change to start, but you can always revert to a frozen version of your old form without editing capabilities if you’d like.

Lately we’ve been working on the print infrastructure to ensure you can print larger batches and render PDFs faster, invoice layout alignment, column width handling, and lots of your other requests.

Next we will set our sights on supporting more forms (like statements) and expanding the import capabilities.

Your feedback helps us prioritize what to do next. I hope this gives some transparency into what the team is working on. Thanks for your patience and keep the feedback coming!​​

906 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jared EgleyJared Egley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would also be nice to customize the discounts portion of the invoice total. I need a percentage amount deducted from my invoices and it is not called a discount. It would be nice to be able to change that field to a custom name and percentage. Desktop allows this.

• DanaDana commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Forms need to be customizable separately; and currently Purchase Orders are only possible in the ugly standard format and not the theme I have selected. I also really do not want an approval signature line on vendor POs but I cannot remove it. VERY FRUSTRATED that some very basic stuff is overlooked in QB online.

• Mike SMike S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please extend this issue also to Estimates and Purchase Orders. This issue needs serious urgent attention. The forms are wholly unprofessional and lack basic functionality. Thank you!

• Andrew APAndrew AP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MichaelB, I found this thread since I was annoyed with the "Please detach..." but then I figured out how to get rid of it. You probably have also at this point, but in the Customize sales forms page you can uncheck the "return stub" box and voila, you look a little less like the gas company. Not much less, but a little. ; )

• MichaelBMichaelB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow more templates of Invoice layout... Remove the "Please detach top portion and return with your payment". I am emailing the invoice, and I do not need the top portion back considering all my checks I get from my clients have the necessary information on it. And as I roll out electronic payment, why would my client send it back anyway! Now in the email I have to tell them they do not have to send it back... Makes us look unprofessional! Then I blame it on QuickBooks !

• MichaelBMichaelB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Invoice look and control needs a major infusion of features:

Layout is a joke currently fro a branding of my company. I had to turn of the logo since it makes you invoice look like a 6th grader did it.

- Logo position control is a must a) Replace the title b) Below the Title c) Center of the form d) Above the address block e) Above the Title

- Address should NOT be tied to the logo, but be allowed to be placed in top right position / address return location. Also allow the removal of the company name, if its the title, why lit it twice?

- Invoice activity sorting needs to be more than just by Date. When you have many transactions on the same date, you currently can not control the order. This needs to be set as a default within the Company Preferences, but then allow you to override the sorting in an invoice.

- Allow a Client PO number to be auto populated on the invoice. This gets involved with all the possibilities for controlling it, but in default if a client has a PO assigned, it should put it on the invoice.

• bk1500bk1500 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to see this applied to the statements as well. We're a church and I need to be able to print quarterly statements that show the date a contribution was made, how it was made (i.e. check #, online, cash) and what the contribution was given for (i.e. general fund, missions, etc.). The sales receipt asks for all this information but I can't get it to print on the statements. I would love this to be fixed.

• David Cristello David Cristello commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello- This is sounds like a painful problem, and based on the que list I'm not sure this is being addresses right now
        I'm exploring ways I can solve this. If anyone is interested in helping me understand this problem further, or what they would want to see- free to contact me at DavidCristello (at) gmail (dot) com
        NOTE I'm NOT a salesperson and have NOTHING to sell

• Steven WoodSteven Wood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need desperately to have additional columns I expecially miss having a column for the service end date since I invoice for bill cycles and they don't necessarily correlate to the invoice dates

• LauraLaura commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really like having the ability to show the Account Summary section on the invoice, but not being able to remove the "Total Amount Due" section has proven to be an issue. Customers end up overpaying their invoice because they pay the amount from the Total Amount Due box instead of from the "Total of New Charges" box.

• EthanEthan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is huge for me. I'm a designer and I can hardly stand the look of the templates.

Every invoice is an extension of the branding of your business.

• Lori LeitgebLori Leitgeb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Paul - half of our clients need expanded invoices with detailed descriptions and the other half want condensed invoices with total number of hours per person. I am constantly going back and forth for the global preferences. I would like to be able to set global preferences as the default and then be able to override them under each client if a client requests something other than the standard format we usually offer.

Also, please expand the character length in the "email to" field (such a quick fix) stored for each client. Some clients request invoice be sent to 3 and sometimes 4 people with longer email addresses and I can't fit them all in. I often have to forward emails to extra people as another step.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The current layout is completely unusable for my business. Quickbook markets this program with this feature but when I called to discuss with them they recommended one of the "add on apps" as the solution at an additional cost...saying "we prefer our customers has the ability to chose the features they want" I say this feature was free on the desktop version and it is marketed in your online features it should be included in my monthly fee.
        I wish there was any alternative to quickbooks... I would use them.

• Steve Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice to use multiple company logos too. We have multiple D/B/A divisions and they have their own brand identities with different logos. Currently, you can only upload and use one corporate logo.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great to have some sort of drag-and-drop layout designer like Desktop edition does. But don't do something that requires a windows program to make your design and save it to your QBO Account! Don't forget us mac users!

• RajanRajan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes the invoice format need user to be able to add more fields\coloum and raws for more customizations format.

• PaulPaul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I generate and send out invoices once a month. The majority of the invoices do not need the customer's account summary which I have normally turned off under preferences > customize sales receipt. But every month, I always have some clients with previous month activity that I want to enable this feature under preferences in order for the account summary to be included on the printed invoice. This means I have to print out my first group of invoices with the account summary turned on (by going way down under company preferences to turn the feature on), and then print out my second group of invoices with the account summary turned off. I have to keep changing the preferences option all of the time. It would speed things up tremendously if there were a checkbox when I go to print out invoices that would allow me to enable or disable the account summary from the print run I want to do so that I don't have to keep going down under company preferences to change the option back and forth.

• BrandonBrandon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree completely. I really need to have one more column, i.e. 'Units,' just like QB Desktop. This way so that I can have 'Quantity' and 'Units' as well as 'Unit Price (i.e. 'Rate')'. I have been asking for this since I began using QB Online over 2.5 years ago. Is it really that complicated? Without this, some clients find the invoices a bit confusing and I have to put more information in the 'Description' column, which looks strange.

Feedback and Knowledge Base